Hey FRESHERS: Welcome to LSRadio!

Dear Freshers,

So it’s official: YOU’VE DONE IT!

By the fact you’re sitting reading this, I think it’s pretty safe for me to say that you’ve opened your results and are coming to the University of Liverpool in September. And so we at LSRadio want to say a massive CONGRATULATIONS  – you’ve chosen well! It’s now full steam ahead towards September, of course. You’ll be making sure you’ve got everything sorted for your uni adventure – duvet covers washed, more pots and pans than you’re ever going to use, and maybe a bottle opener – be prepared for social interaction when someone shouts “DOES ANYONE HAVE A BOTTLE OPENER?”  at the classic freshers’ pre-drinks.

As you’re nearing the time to come to uni, it’s quite natural for the nerves to kick in. But when you move into halls or elsewhere, the uni has a ton of Welcome Events set up to help you make heaps of new friends.  Today marks the day that Welcome Week wristbands go on sale (yay)  – they’ll get you into pretty much any of the events the Guild is holding in the week before term starts. Buy your fresher’s wristband here.

The 2015/16 LSRadio committee putting the snazz into Welcome Fair

On the Thursday and Friday of Welcome Week, though, Mountford Hall in the Guild will also be hosting our Welcome Fair. Here you can come and grab loads of freebies (I haven’t actually needed to buy any pens all year) as well as browse all the societies you can join. From sports to comedy, politics to media, there’s bound to be a society for you! I can’t stress enough how much fun being part of a society is and how many more friends I’ve made this year because of it.

And of course, LSRadio will be at the Welcome Fairs so make sure you drop by and say hi! Over the past year, we’ve branched out considerably and there’s a ton of stuff for you to get involved with. Plus, we have a few fluffy friends joining us…

radio pom poms

Built ourselves a radio army for Freshers’ this year

We’ll be looking for lots of new PRESENTERS – training will be given on how to use equipment etc. so don’t be put off if you’ve never done anything remotely radio before; I hadn’t either, and now I’m co-running the thing! Shows start as soon as the PROGRAMMING TEAM have got their heads together to organise a show schedule that suits everyone – from 10am to 10pm. It also definitely needs to be said that you don’t need to be loud and obnoxious to be great at radio, if you have something you love that you can talk about, you’re already most of the way to becoming the next Nick Grimshaw (our very own LSRadio alumnus)! Make sure you sign up to our mailing list at the Welcome Fair if you think hosting your own radio show sounds like something you, and maybe a friend, would be interested in!

radio collage one

Yes, that’s a giant LSRadio cookie courtesy of BakeSoc

As well as our radio shows, we also have a growing online presence.

If you’re interested in music journalism, you can get some great experience with the MUSIC TEAM. Within this, we have the Gig Reviews section, where you can get into gigs for a handsome price of nothing (YES, FREE GIGS) and then write a few hundred words about your experience for the music blog. At the end of the year, we love getting our journalists into Sound City to interview as many artists as possible – the Music Team highlight for many of our writers! You can also be part of the Album Reviews section, where you get to listen to the freshest new music from around Merseyside and then write a few words on what you think.

We get some pretty cool interview opportunities, it has to be said!

Running hand in hand with the News, Music and Arts & Culture teams, we have our fabulous INTERVIEWS TEAM. Our Head and Deputy Head of Interviews are keen to branch out from music interviews this year, and as part of this I know they’re definitely planning on talking to some local politicians as well as some curators of art exhibitions.  The interviews then either get transcribed and put on the relevant blog, or uploaded to our Mixcloud. Whatever area of interviewing you’re interested in, we can get you started or enhance any experience you might already have.

The NEWS TEAM hosts weekly news shows and an online blog. We’re always looking for new enthusiastic members who are happy to talk to other students about the goings on at UoL and are seeking more writers interested in anything from politics to fashion to entertainment. Whether you want to talk about Boris and Brexit or Kim K’s latest online feud with Taylor Swift, that’s totally fine with us. So if you’re interested in a career in journalism, want to gain some writing experience, or you’re just super passionate about current affairs, we would love you to join our LSRadio news team!

Our News Team likes to interview everyone from politicians to insta-famous pugs

Our News Team likes to interview everyone from politicians to insta-famous pugs!

As part of the ARTS & CULTURE TEAM, you can write about anything within this field that interests you. Our Head of Arts & Culture is working hard to build links to get free tickets to events to review, but there is also the opportunity to review new films and TV shows for the blog too! Having won Capital of Culture in 2008, Liverpool certainly boasts an impressive array of cultural delights, so whether it’s an exhibition at the Walker or a new restaurant that you’ve heard about, become a culture vulture for the afternoon and then write a few words about it!  We’re particularly keen to explore the amazing multicultural identity of Liverpool and aim to get as many writers as possible in on the many international food and music festivals that go on in the city throughout the year.

The MARKETING TEAM then promotes your shows and articles to our LSRadio listeners and readers! Social media really is the student radio station’s best friend. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Of course, LSRadio wouldn’t be LSRadio without its socials! Have no fear, our committee are on hand to bring the beer pong, skittle vodka, and pretty much anything you can imagine to your time with LSRadio. Socials are a great way for us to all gel as a team as well as have huge amounts of fun!

The most important thing to remember is that once you join LSRadio, you’re not just limited to one team. We’re one massive, happy radio family and you can be involved with as much or as little as you want.

Please do have a click around on our website to get an idea of what LSRadio is all about and how you can become involved! And don’t hesitate to email us/add us on Facebook if you have any queries.

We (and possibly some cake) look forward to seeing you in September at freshers’ and hope you have a smooth transition into uni life. Here’s to a fab new academic year!

Cecily Sheppard and Grace Olivia Farnham

More Articles

Spotlight On… UoL Beekeeping Society
Film & TV Reviews Premiere On LSRadio Arts & Culture!
Nina – A Story About Me and Nina Simone @ Unity Theatre
Hey FRESHERS: Welcome to LSRadio!
Information for members: tech issues