Welcome to Liverpool – A (Very) Short Round Up of the Guild

The first time you graced the Uni campus, you probably noticed the big, sprawling building that acts as its centre. Although technically a separate body to the University, the Guild of Students has just as much of an important part to play in your experience. The Guild acts as both the spiritual home of student life and a vital venue for everything from 2,000 person-strong gigs to 10-person society meetings (plus, it’s home to our very own studio!).

But aside from acting as a second home to many over-zealous society members, what does it actually do? Wonder no longer, as we summarise below a tiny handful of the things it has overseen in the past year.

1. National Student Survey

(National Student Survey Campaign Poster, courtesy of liverpoolguild.org, 2017)

Taking a strong stand, the Guild was one of 25 student unions across the country to not participate in the National Student Survey. This was thanks to a very well-publicised boycott campaign across campus, demonstrating that Liverpool students stood united against a further raising of University fees.

1. Gigs

(You Me at Six, courtesy of Ellipsis Liverpool, 2017)

Students and music fans alike were spoilt for choice when it came to live shows this past year. Household names and smaller, talented up-and-comers both graced the stage at Mountford Hall, more often than not playing to massive crowds of fans representing a rainbow of music genres. You Me at Six, All Time Low, Nas and Two Door Cinema Club make up a few of the big names to have perfomed there in the last academic year.

1. National Society Awards

Image result for national society awards 2017

(Societies, courtesy of liverpoolguild.org, 2017)

Proving all that blood, sweat, tears and cash doesn’t go to waste, Liverpool found itself well represented in the 2017 National Society Awards. In only its second year, the Guild’s representatives still managed to make their mark. Liverpool Hindu Society came ‘Highly Commended’ in the ‘Best Cultural and Faith’ category and Ellipsis Magazine and Help the Homeless were shortlisted for ‘Best Media Society’ and ‘Best Volunteering’ respectively. They aren’t all creative fronts for getting drunk, y’know.

1. Call it Out

(Call It Out, courtesy of liverpoolguild.org, 2017)

For the third year running, the anti-sexual harassment campaign was continued across campus. Encouraging students to learn to recognise unacceptable behaviour and speak out against it, the campaign has even influenced university policy. 2017 saw the set up of the ‘Safe and Welcoming Campus Environment Board’, which works towards taking student allegations of sexual assault more seriously. Proof that making uni life safer and more sociable for everyone is not a lost cause!

1. Puppy Room

Image result for puppy room liverpool guild

(Puppy Room, courtesy of liverpoolguild.org, 2017)

As part of an incentive to help students deal with exam stress, this event took place in May, to the delight of pretty much anyone who doesn’t have a dog allergy! Tickets sold out in a flash for the highly anticipated event that allowed students to enjoy time with trainee guide dogs (our former station managers went and shared their experience here). What’s more, the event raised nearly £500 for Guide Dogs UK.

1. Guild Wish

Image result for guildwish liverpool guild

(Guild Wish, courtesy of liverpoolguild.org, 2015)

Yet again, the Guild played Santa Claus in Christmas 2016 with the return of #Guildwish, the twitter campaign allowing students the chance to win whatever Christmas present they could come up with. Out of hundreds of tweets, 62 became full-blown granted wishes, ranging from the classic (prosecco) to the more unconventional (a fez, for one of our very own station managers!). December isn’t that far away…

…And these are just a taster! As you can see, the Guild keeps itself busy. All the more reason to prepare a passionate counter argument when your home friends ask ‘But what about the accent?’.

Featured Image courtesy of Liverpool Guild of Students

Ally Dinning
Head of Online News

More Articles

Spotlight On… UoL Beekeeping Society
Film & TV Reviews Premiere On LSRadio Arts & Culture!
Nina – A Story About Me and Nina Simone @ Unity Theatre
Hey FRESHERS: Welcome to LSRadio!