Roy Lichtenstein – In Focus

‘Wall Explosion II’ 1965 Roy Lichtenstein, sourced from http://www.tate.org.uk/art/work/T03083

Amid the madness of freshers week, I was invited to the Tate‘s opening of Roy Lichtenstein‘s ‘In Focus’ exhibition, which was opened with a fantastic night of drinks, music, creativity and a fantastic collection of American pop artist, Roy Lichtenstein’s (1923-97) work. This evening caught my eye, as a lover of Lichtenstein’s tongue-and-cheek, pop art style and one of New York’s most iconic artists, I was delighted to have the chance to immerse myself into the crazy, colourful work of Lichtenstein.

Roy Lichtenstein exhibition- Liverpool Tate.

I arrived to a neon-lit room, swimming in a funky cocktail of the live d j’s tunes, chatter, drinks and colour, setting a theme of colour and boldness for the evening. Eager to see Lichtenstein’s work, I made my way up to the 2nd floor, where ‘In Focus’ will be until the 17th of June 2018. My eye was drawn immediately to the small gathering of people in the centre of room, who were admiring one of Lichtenstein’s most iconic pieces, ‘In the Car’.

In the Car – Roy Lichtenstein

The striking primary colours found in Lichtenstein’s work contrast so vividly against the pure white walls and pale wooden floors, in particular the 3-D piece ‘Explosion’, which literally puts the ‘pop’ in pop-art.

My appreciation deepened for this artist after discovering his style developed after serving in WW2. His expression of bright colours and domestic subjects portrayed often in a fragmented way was Lichtenstein’s artistic response to the horrors and brutality he saw. Another crucial aspect of Lichtenstein’s work is the theme of mass-production and industrialisation, which is reflected through his choice of media when creating his art, for example, the recurring use of steel and mass-printing which both have industrial connotations.

Its hard not to see why Lichtenstein’s work is so influential to modern art today, it combines creativity with the feeling of mass-production. This was also apparent, as I followed the sound of messy drums and funkadelic guitar, down the first floor to find the Tate’s family room.

Create your own pop-art collage

In here was a cornucopia of creative activity; children and adults designing and printing tote bags and comic strips, a projector of a light box with brightly coloured shapes for a ‘make your own’ Lichtenstein piece, live music, staff members animated with pop-art face paint and a short video created by a group of talented LIPA students projected onto the wall. Its doubtless to say, the room was a hive of creativity and it complimented and enhanced the fantastic exhibition by injecting interactivity to those who came to see the ‘In Focus’ opening exhibition.

For those interested in visually exciting art which has meaning, you simply must visit the ‘In Focus’ exhibition whilst it is in Liverpool, the Tate has this fantastic collection until June and you wouldn’t forgive yourself if you miss this.

Written by Molly Moe.

Molly Moe

More Articles

Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square
Mike Watson Interview – Coffee House Session 10/10/17
Rick & Morty Season 3 Review: The Darkest Timeline?
Merseyrail Strikes Continue This Week
Roy Lichtenstein – In Focus