Eclectic Sounds
Eclectic Sounds

Threshold Festival: Liverpool’s Own Grassroots Champion

The three-day festival returns on the 27 March to Liverpool as a celebration of grassroot music, theatre, film, performance and the visual arts. Set to be the biggest one yet, Threshold Festival has excelled itself in producing a diverse line up and range of art forms, so there is bound to be something for everyone. Named after its dedication to the support of emerging musicians and artists and its home on the edge of Liverpool’s L1 postcode, the festival became independent after the closure of the Contemporary Urban Centre. This year’s festival is based at the up-and-coming Constellations as well as the beautiful Lantern Theatre. With a strong rhetoric of DIY and collaboration with local artists, musicians as well as promoters, grassroots partnership lies at its heart making Threshold one of Liverpool’s home-grown gems and a true asset to the city. The involvement of Astral Coast Festival, Above The Beaten Track, Mellowtone and Liverpool Acoustic reflects the festivals strong ties with the local scene, and showcases the amazing work of local events-organisers and promoters.

threshold

Threshold 2014, Photo Credit: Threshold Festival

Threshold’s commitment to an open-application process has ensured the line-up is as diverse as it is hand-picked for being a great leveller of talent. Featuring the likes of Eliza Shaddad, vocalist from Clean Bandit who has supported the likes of Rudimental, SBTRKT and Alt-J and Nubyian Twist, a 12-piece outfit who combine the best in groove from around the world alongside jazz influenced improvisation. Akala is a MOBO award-winning rapper and poet, who certainly doesn’t need to live in his sister Ms Dynamite’s shadow. Local singer-songwriter Natalie McCool will be bringing her art-pop melancholia to the festival, and Paddy Steer’s pioneering 60’s and 70’s synth will be sure to have you encapsulated. With 90% of the artists hailing from the North-West, community spirit will be in full-swing as the music on offer is of the highest calibre.

Alongside a great musical line-up is the jam-packed arts programme on offer, including comedy from improv company Impropriety, burlesque from award winning burlesque performer Mimi Amore as well as a visual arts platform headed by local artist Robert Flynn with work exploring modern anxieties around body image. Theatre performances will be headed by Rumour and Mighty Heart with one of Liverpool’s most successful poetry and spoken word platforms ‘A Lovely Word’ presented by Patrick Hughs. Brett Gregory will be premiering his latest documentary ‘Beyond the Beatles’ which unearths Liverpool’s contemporary music scene beyond the Fab Four.

As a congregation of home-grown artists, performers, musicians and poets, Threshold Festival’s takeover of the Baltic Triangle is set to be a big one. The festival is a champion of the DIY ethos and its role in the local scene makes for a refreshing change where traditionally festivals churn out the same generic mainstream line-ups. Threshold is unique, it is a credit to the city as well as crediting the city for the vast musical and artistic lineage it continues to espouse.

With tickets a mere £20, ditch the Nandos and join the many of us descending on Liverpool’s warehouse-cum-creative district for an eclectic mix of great possibilities, that celebrate Merseyside and its rich artistic scene.

Threshold Festival comes to the Baltic Triangle from 27 – 29 March 2015

Buy Tickets Here: http://thresholdfestival.co.uk/

Katie Tysoe
LS Radio's Arts and Culture Editor. Studying an MA in Arts, Aesthetics and Cultural Institutions. Big-time 80's enthusiast. @katiemarietysoe

More Arts & Culture

A Midsummer Night’s Dream @ The Epstein Theatre // 25th April 2017
Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
O.K. – The Musical @ Tate Liverpool
Hidden Figures // LSRadio Film Review
Spotlight On… Liverpool Marrow Society