Top Picks: April

Bastard-Queen-

The Bastard Queen

Lantern Theatre // Saturday 4 April – Sunday 5 April

Local company Naughty Corner Productions presents a pitch-black comedy following the survival of the last five people on the planet after the apocalypse. As four lone survivors struggle through what is left of life a newbie enters the group and threatens to disturb the, not quite so fine, balance. Each member is forced to face themselves and each other in a play that will have you laughing and possibly crying as very human moments are depicted throughout. Pushing the boundaries of black comedy The Bastard Queen is a play with a brilliant and unique cast, with a production company that won the Edinburgh Award last year, be sure to head down to Lantern Theatre and foresee just what the end of the world will look like.

http://www.lanterntheatreliverpool.co.uk/events/the-bastard-queen/

Street football team  1974 ©Tricia Porter

Street football team 1974 ©Tricia Porter

Tricia Porter: Liverpool Photographs 1972-74

The Bluecoat// Saturday 4 April – Sunday 5 July

Tricia Porter alongside her husband David entered Toxteth, gaining the trust of the local residents, a decade before the media spotlight on the riots in 1981 and documented the lives of the locals. This photography exhibition delves into the everyday lives of the residents, their businesses, families and homes. Part of the LOOK/15 international photography festival, Porter’s photographs provide a thought-provoking insight into the everyday life in L8 that highlights the multicultural area in an enlightening and positive way. Refreshing photographs that portray the people and not the statistics, be sure to go down and check out the realistic and not the media exaggerated lives of the local area. The exhibition launch event is Friday 10 April 6-8pm.

http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/events/view/exhibitions/2726

ImageResizer

Gazelle Twin, Photo Credit: FACT

Gazelle Twin Live + Carla MacKinnon + Shorts

FACT // Thursday 9 April

Gazelle Twin is the creation of British composer, producer and artist, Elizabeth Bernholz, FACT will be showing her recently released album UNFLESH an album that has gathered critical claim, named best album release of 2014 by The Quietus, and which explores body-centric themes such as puberty and phobia. This live performance will encompass the ‘horror-pop’ of the album, alongside distinctly visual themes, as Bernholz directly challenges traditional approaches to recorded music and live performance. Carla MacKinnon will also be displaying her video work alongside Bernholz’s music which uses live action and animation with unsettling effects. The live film session will be accompanied by a collection of short films and animations by women filmmakers, as a night of experimental audio-visual media that pushes the boundaries of the genre, it is not one to be missed, particularly for anyone interested in experimental filmmaking.

http://www.fact.co.uk/whats-on/current/gazelle-twin-live-plus-carla-mackinnon-plus-shorts.aspx

Tabitha_Jussa_Victoria_Clock_Tower_THUMB

Victoria Clock Tower, Tabitha Jussa, Photo Credit: The Bluecoat

Tabitha Jussa: Memorandum of Understanding

The Bluecoat // Saturday 11 April – Sunday 5 July

Following her 2014 Liverpool Art Prize win, Tabitha Juss will be exhibiting her new photography show that looks at the relationship between people and place – focusing on the city’s architecture and design. The impacts of the numerous regeneration projects on resident communities that have occurred throughout the years is one of her interests and for this exhibition Tabitha Juss turns her eye to Liverpool’s dockside, as she contrasts Liverpool’s own developments with that of its twin city Shanghai. With panoramic shots of the Mersey alongside those of the Wusong River, this exhibition gives a great insight into how the two cities have developed throughout the years and is both atmospheric and compelling.

http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/events/view/exhibitions/2724

TamerAbu Ghazaleh: Liverpool Arab Arts Festival

The Kazimier // Friday 17 April

As part of Liverpool Arab Arts Festival which will be coming to us in June (more on that to come!) multi-instrumentalist TamerAbu Ghazaleh will be shining his inventive performance at the Kazimier. A leading figure in modern Arabic Culture, Ghazaleh has collaborated in many music projects, as well as founding EKA3, a regional platform dedicated to promoting, producing, distributing and touring independent Arabic music. His debut album Mir’ah (Mirror) was recorded with a group of Palestinian and Egyptian performance and written during a turbulent period of demonstrations, bombardment and invasion of Palestinian cities. The record is both entrancing and frenzied, expressing real human emotion that cannot be paralleled as informed by the unimaginable experience of living in Palestine during that period.

http://www.thekazimier.co.uk/listing/00000000545/

No Homers Club_Exhibition poster

No Homers Club

Constellations // Friday 17 April – Sunday 19 April

A Simpson’s inspired multi-disciplinary art exhibition, Constellations hosts a whole weekend celebrating print, zine and illustration practice – all in tribute to the popular yellow family that features on our screens every day. There will be music, screen-printing workshops, interactive activities, a zine fair and all kinds of artwork that would satisfy the biggest of Simpsons enthusiasts. Oh, and there will be donuts of course, by courtesy of Albion Bakehouse. High energy pop music by Organ Freeman will set the mood and giant murals will adorn the warehouse as created by Ria Fell and Katie Craven. With zines, comics and art for sale, you’d be a Homer to miss out on a unique event that will have the north-west running to the nearest blue wig and pearls shop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/351549298365357/

Jaiden Micheal

Jaiden Michael

No Second Bite

The Lantern Theatre// Tuesday 21 April – Sunday 26 April

No Second Bite is self-proclaimed as ‘Liverbirds on Acid’ – an adult comedy that follow the trials and tribulations of Bella, played by award-winning actress Lynne Fitzgerald and her flatmate Angie, played by Charlie Griffiths. A life-changing encounter in a coffee shop leaves Bella lusting after Chris, in Desperate Scousewives famous Jaiden Michael’s theatre-debut. We watch an evening of pizza, chaos, man-basing, man-wanting and chocolate unfold as unexpected guests turn up at the flatmates door with entertaining results. Produced by Jaiden Michael and Karen Struel-White with a debut performance by Liverpool John Moores drama student Nadia Bakir this play is a hilarious, fast-paced comedy, with dramatic twists to keep you on your toes.

http://www.lanterntheatreliverpool.co.uk/events/no-second-bite-3/

P5280433

Photo Credit: Unity Theatre

Stella: A Story of Women, Their Men and Astronomy

Unity Theatre // Friday 24 April                      

Galileo, Einstein, Newton, as is often the case in both science and history the great men are remembered, leaving the many women who have contributed to scientific discoveries to remain forgotten or ignored. William Herschel discovered Uranus, but his sister discovered eight comets, numerous nebulae, some double stars and was the first woman to be offered honorary membership of the Royal Astronomical Society. A story of time, space, curiosity and passion and a story of two women who made great discoveries in science: Jessica Bell a radio astronomer, and Caroline Herschel a comet sweeper. Follow the story of both extraordinary women who can precisely map their position in the universe, yet struggles to find their place in the world.  A Take the Space production, Stella is full of complexity, emotion and stars that will have you gazing not just upwards, but inwards at the wonder of human life.

http://www.unitytheatreliverpool.co.uk/whats-on/stella-a-story-of-women-their-men-and-astronomy.html

BrewDog Liverpool Presents: Craft

FACT // Tuesday 28 April

What better way to spend a Tuesday evening than with a film and a beer, well look no further as BrewDog Liverpool in collaboration with FACT hosts the first ever UK screening of Craft, for any craft beer fan this documentary is a must see! Chief Brewer at Postmark Brewery, Craig Noble produces and directs this insight into the great Craft Beer Revolution that has occurred in recent years, and will give you a behind the scenes look at the people, often rogues and misfits, craft beer. With offerings of Punk IPA, BrewDog’s flagship craft beer, beer infused popcorn and beery sweets, plus an afterparty at BrewDog for all those beer-lovers out there, this is a must!

http://www.fact.co.uk/whats-on/current/brewdog-liverpool-presents-craft.aspx

Muscovado

Lantern Theatre // Thursday 30 April

BurnOut Theatre presents a new play about slavery in 1800’s Barbados, showing at the Lantern Theatre as part of a tour of UK cities with links to the transatlantic slave trade. Written by Royal Court alumnus Matilda Ibini, Muscovado is a mix of sexual intrigue, choral music and extreme racial tension, depicting an unflinching portrayal of life on a sugar plantation. The atmospheric soundscape is performed live by cast, providing a visceral experience that will leave you enlightened and gripped to your seat. Not for the faint-hearted, this stirring play tells the story of a planter family and its slaves, shedding light on the British involvement in the trans-Atlantic slave trade. A must-see that is a daring insight into a horrific historical past, this compelling play is not one to be missed.

http://www.lanterntheatreliverpool.co.uk/events/muscovado/

Katie Tysoe
LS Radio's Arts and Culture Editor. Studying an MA in Arts, Aesthetics and Cultural Institutions. Big-time 80's enthusiast. @katiemarietysoe

More Arts & Culture

Akram Kham’s Giselle
‘Coming Out: Sexuality, Gender and Identity’ Exhibition
BoJack Horseman Season 4 Review
Rick & Morty Season 3 Review: The Darkest Timeline?
Roy Lichtenstein – In Focus