Interview: Marlon Davis // Comedy Central Live Presents COMEDY CLUB // The Cellar @ Liverpool Guild of Students

“BEHIND THE LAUGHS!”

Immediately after the Comedy Club show, I sat down with the brilliantly hilarious Marlon Davis, to chat about his life before being a comedian and what has inspired him to get on stage and give the world something to laugh about. It was difficult to be serious with Marlon with all his jokes and teasing! 

Nikie Azlli: Have you always been this funny? 

Photo Credit: www.marlondavis.co.uk

Marlon Davis: No – I’m joking. I probably have been this funny with friends, not every single person. I think I’m more of an introvert off stage, I’m more quiet and reserved. Then you go on to the stage, it’s another version of yourself. It’s kinda like a superhero, Clark Kent and Superman.

NA: Can you tell me more about the Edinburgh Fringe and how it affected your comedic career?

MD: It affected my pockets – it made me broke. What I love about Edinburgh is that it has everything there, everyone there has such a great spirit. You’ve got favourites that you possibly have gone to see that you’ve seen on TV. But then there’s also discovering that untapped talent and you saw them first and you want to tell everyone about how amazing they are. But as comedians, it’s the time of year where you get to see everybody. So, it’s like a party again or a reunion. Like tonight, with Michael Legge, and I haven’t seen Michael since last year and it works that way. I’m going back out there again this year, I’m looking forward to it. I missed it last year because of the crash and I was in coma. So, unless they were going to do a laying down comedy, then it might work. But I don’t think it’d be reviewed very much!

NA: I’m sure there were other professional comedians at the Edinburgh Fringe, have they given you tips on how to improve your performance?

MD: No, they’re just mean – nah, of course they do! That’s what they say about comedians but we really are a supportive bunch. Of course, they’ll help us improve. Improving yourself could also be from everything as in life as well – your next door neighbour, anyone you interact with. You’re constantly improving otherwise you’re dead.

NA: Where did you get your inspiration from?

MD: I’d say my son – now everything you do, it’s for him. But before that, there were loads of other comedians that inspired me. But, I’d say the first person would possibly be Eddie Murphy. Then over here in Britain, Lenny Henry was massive, he was huge and everyone loved Lenny Henry and he was Caribbean as well. Richard Blackwood, as well, who used to present and host shows on MTV and I thought, “Oh, this guy is really good as well, he has his own show on Channel 4 and stuff. What I love about these guys is that they came from the same environment as yourself, same countries as yourself and they talked about their own experiences and I thought that that was something that I’d want to do. What led me to get on stage was – I grew up on a council estate and at that time there was a lot of conflicts. I have friends that I grew up with that are not here right now, some in prison and one of them passed away. We grew up together and something like that just hits you. When he died, there is no time, I just got around to do it. I said, by the end of the week, I’d do it and the week came and best thing about it was that we live little away from London and I found out that there’s open mic gig. There were comedians trying out materials and I don’t know about trying out materials – I thought you just go on stage and just be funny! The comedians who were trying out materials were terrible and I thought I could do that, if he’s on telly I could do that. So, I went on stage and I died – when I said died, I meant no one laughed. But I got on stage and I didn’t care that no one laughed, it was sort of a buzz, I felt like I had achieved something and I went back the next week, and they laughed then. I have been talking for ages!

NA: That leads me to the next question! Have you ever had a tough crowd? Or was that the toughest crowd?

MD: That was a tough crowd. Well, you have stuff that you thought, yeah this would work and you practice in front of the mirror and not in front of an audience. What I have learned is that stage fright, nervous energy might not deliver the same way that what you wanted to so it could be that but then if you talk about tough crowd, they can happen at any time. But I don’t take anything for granted, and I haven’t had a tough crowd for ages.

NA: One last question, what are your future plans?

MD: Future plans? To leave, go home – nah, I’m joking. Well, comedy-wise, it’s just to keep on going. I think to myself that I’m quite blessed if my journey so far as a comic doing this, you don’t have to do anything else. This is what you do for a living and I felt like I made it, in that respect. So, I’m always looking for what’s next, you can’t look at what’s behind you, you’re always looking to your future. So, the next thing that I want to do is tour! I want to build up a body of work that people appreciate enough that people will come to see me. That and just keep on pushing. You see all of this a different way again because you’ve been given another chance and again you can’t take this for granted. We haven’t got that much time, you’ve got to grab it while you can and I got reminded of that again last year so I’m blessed.

You can check out Nikie’s review of Marlon’s Comedy Club set here!

Mikey McCusker
Nikie Azlli
Arts & Culture Team

More Arts & Culture

A Midsummer Night’s Dream @ The Epstein Theatre // 25th April 2017
Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
O.K. – The Musical @ Tate Liverpool
Hidden Figures // LSRadio Film Review
Spotlight On… Liverpool Marrow Society