On Air Now
On Air Now

End of the F***ing World – Netflix Show Review

This British comedy-drama Directed by Jonathan Entwistle follows James and Alyssa; two teenagers on a journey full of questionable decisions. The pair are frustrated with their lives and embark on a road trip that will change their futures permanently.

When this show became available on Netflix earlier this year, it became the first must-watch show of 2018, with a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Each episode runs for around 20 minutes, so experienced binge watchers could get through all 8 episodes in one day, without breaking a sweat.

The series is an impressively dark take on a coming-of-age teen romance. The show encapsulates teenage resentment towards parents, friends, and suburban life. It is refreshingly blunt in its approach and is reminiscent of My Mad Fat Diary; another Channel 4 triumph.

Over the course of the series, the relationship between self-proclaimed psychopath James and no-nonsense Alyssa evolves into something intense and very endearing. Alex Lawther as James gives an understated performance and Jessica Barden is seamless in her portrayal of blunt and rebellious Alyssa. The rapport between the two is perhaps the most captivating element of the whole show. The audience is invited to share the pair’s nihilistic outlook, and imagine what it would be like not to care what anyone else thinks; something perhaps we should all do more often.

The End of the F***ing World is available to watch online on All4 and Netflix.

Annie Owen

More Arts & Culture

Tony Robinson at the Liverpool Literary Festival
Review: BBC Three’s ‘This Country’
The Singh Twins: Slaves of Fashion at The Walker Gallery
‘The Kite Runner’ at the Playhouse