Blaenavon Interview – Liverpool O2 Academy 12.02.17
The other weekend Jess Fleming made her way through the secret door of Liverpool’s O2 Academy and caught up with the lovely three piece that is Blaenavon just ahead of their soundcheck.
The trio, who all hail from Hampshire, are made up of frontman/guitarist Ben, drummer Harris and bassist Frank, and are currently the main support for indie favourite’s Sundara Karma on their UK tour. It may have only been day 2 but the band had already smashed it in Birmingham with the crowd losing their minds over their show, something Ben doesn’t normally suspect would happen by being a support band.
Having similar fans to the likes of Sunny K and other support band The Night Café is a nice addition, meaning that people are there for the whole show making touring fun for all three bands who are all solid mates. The fun doesn’t stop there for the likes of Blaenavon though, for they’ll soon be off to Europe with Two Door Cinema Club, an exciting experience as their last European tour was with Warpaint in 2014. After the first show in Brussels at a place which according to their tour manager has the ‘greatest music venue in Europe’, they’ll also be visiting Berlin, Köln, Paris and many other cities whilst also meeting up with old friends along the way. Another pivotal moment for Blaenavon’s 2017 is the release of their debut album, ‘That’s Your Lot’ on 7th April.
On the topic of the recording process Ben commented that the whole experience was amazing and they got into it really quickly, recording between December 2015 and January 2016 with Jim Abbiss (who has produced for Arctic Monkeys, Peace, Bombay Bicycle Club and many others). Harris confessed that once in the studio you can ‘lose track of everything that’s going on outside’, saying further that there has been times when ‘you will look up and its 2am and you’ve been looking for this insane guitar sound for the last 2 days and you suddenly find it and all your dreams are accomplished in this one peddle’.
Ben also shared that it’s during studio recording when the band has sweet moments in a couple of songs, ‘where something amazing happens completely by accident’.
As a band Blaenavon have a back catalogue going back as far as 2013, during this time they’ve released a mixture of singles and EPs and wrote over 100 songs, juggling this with time off for exams. Ben described how he would have found it immature to release an album earlier on in their career as ‘your debut album is your first mark on the music world’ and it’s what he wants people to remember them by it for a while. However, at this point in time he feels as if they are releasing a record they’ll be proud of for a really long time.
Blaenavon will be performing a headline show @ Studio 2 on 4th April Their debut album ‘That’s Your Lot’ is out 7th April.
Jess Fleming

More Interviews

The Horrors Interview – 12/10/17
Mike Watson Interview – Coffee House Session 10/10/17
Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
Interview: Maximo Park
Interview: Mollie Marriott (09/04/17)