Interview: Rory Wynne

Stockport has thrown us a fair few talents in the past year, from Brit-nominated Blossoms to new kid on the block, Rory Wynne. Aged just 17, Wynne’s certainly making his name known and if his current release What Would Rory Wynne Do? is anything to go by, then the answer to that question is make this year his own! Keen to know more, we caught up with Rory before he took to stage at the Olympia last week for the VO5/NME Awards Tour alongside CABBAGE and Blossoms

So are you looking forward to the Liverpool show at the Olympia?

RW: Very much so, I like the name ‘Olympia’ and from what I have seen it is a gorgeous venue inside. I also love playing in Liverpool – always a great crowd – so it’s one of the shows of the tour I am most excited for.

Have you played any Liverpool venues before/are there any you’d love to play but haven’t?

RW: I have played at the Buyers Club a few times and they were enjoyable and the O2 Academy with Blossoms, but the Olympia was definitely on my bucket list.

If you had to describe your sound in three words, what would they be?

RW: Swagger, Confidence, Musical

You’ve just released your EP ‘What Would Rory Wynne Do?’ – tell us a little bit about the process of making that – where did the inspiration come from? What was it like to record?

RW: The songs just came from people and I was aiming to make tunes with nice verses and big singalong choruses. It was fun to record – I produced 3 of them myself, and was lucky to work with James Skelly and Rich Turvey at Parr St Studios for the single Star in the Sky.

Is there anywhere you go when you want to feel particularly inspired?

RW: Not really, I think inspiration comes to you – so I don’t go looking for it, I just let it come whenever and wherever.

Stockport is solidifying itself on the musical map these last few years – why do you think this is and is there anyone else around the area you think we should be listening to?

RW: I can’t say I’m too sure but I think it is due to our work ethic and self-belief – we work hard at things we think are good, and then they become amazing. Other than Myself and Blossoms…not really although there is a great artist called Findlay from Stockport who’s just released a very excellent album.

What does the rest of the year hold in store for you?

RW: A few more releases I think and some more shows also just seeing how things go and what happens and taking everything in my stride.

If you were a type of pudding, what would you be and why?

RW: Sticky Toffee Pudding, because I am delicious.

After chatting to Rory we made sure to catch his live set. Check out what we had to say here

What Would Rory Wynne Do? is now available to stream and digitally purchase on all services including Spotify & Apple Music. 

Featured Photo Credit: Rory Wynne Official 

Cecily Sheppard

More Interviews

Marie White – Coffee House Session 21/11/17
AMiR – Coffee House Session 28/11/17
Tiggi Hawke – Coffee House Session 14/11/17
Sylvan Esso Interview – 10/11/17
Shazia Mirza Interview – 2/11/17