Live Review // Chibuku 01.10.11

If you like your Drum & Bass, then Hospital Records at Chibuku was the place to be on 1st October 2011!

Chibuku, the regular event which takes place at the Masque (Seel Street), played host to a great line up including Hospital Record’s Camo & Krooked, Netsky and High Contrast with RAM’s Andy C Headlining the Theatre Room. Up in the Loft Area was none other than TC (DJ set) with Madrush MC, Rich Furness and headliner Beardyman.

After arriving, the first place we headed to was the Theatre, which is pretty much where we spent most of the night. (Unfortunately meaning I didn’t get to see any of the Loft DJs!) The atmosphere was absolutely electric, and the place was rammed full of people who were skanking out to the sound of Netsky. We only got to catch the last half of Netsky’s set (which I was gutted about as I wanted to catch it all) but he really got the crowd going, and looked like he was having a great time. He played some great remixes and tunes from his self titled album including some of my personal favourites Pirate Bay VIP and Iron Heart.

Next to hit the stage were Austrian duo Camo & Krooked, with guest vocals from Ayah Marar (who features on two tracks on their new album) and hosted by Messy MC. This was the launch for their new album ‘Cross the Line’ and the new material seemed to go down really well with the crowd. Whilst it was great to hear some of their new tunes, it was just as good to hear some of their older songs being blasted through the speakers. Camo & Krooked definitely hold the position of favourite set of the night for me!

Headlining the Theatre stage was Andy C. Now, I really like Andy C’s music and was really looking forward to seeing him play, (he is the only one of the Theatre line up I hadn’t seen live before) but I just couldn’t get into his set. Whether this is because I decided to brave the main dance floor at this point of the night and subsequently got crushed to pieces (I’m a 5ft girl – probably not the best build for a crazy half pit/ half cramped skanking person filled dance floor) or whether it was the set itself, I was really disappointed that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I’d hoped to! I just hope I get to see him again in the near future so I can get a second chance to see him!

Overall though I had a really really good night, possibly one of the best nights I’ve ever had during my 2 and a bit years in Liverpool, and can’t wait until I get to go again. The tickets are pricier than your average outing (around £10 – £20) but if you like the line ups, it is so worth the money! Chibuku really is a night to enjoy the music and have a good old dance with your mates. But just to give you a heads up, prepare to be deaf for a few days afterwards, there is a whole lot of bass pumping out those speakers!
(Words by Georgina Upton)