LSRadio Introducing #1 – Super Cannes

Despite our apparent preoccupation with music making global waves in both our reviews and playlist content, LSRadio’s heart is rooted firmly in Liverpool and, as such, beats to the sound of local music. This illustrious musical city has produced some truly ground-breaking talent from the Fab Four to the Wombats. With new bands a constant on Liverpool’s ever changing landscape we’ve been hard at work with our ears to the ground to find the most promising acts who might just be next in taking their music from their Mersey base to the big bad world of Britain and beyond.

First on our list of acts oozing star quality and pop potential? Super Cannes.

Super-Cannes, named after a JG Ballard novel, consists of Richie; lead vocals and guitar, Davy, lead guitar, Billy, bass guitar and Jams, drums. Huge devotees of Radiohead, this strikingly comes across in their sound, which is a mix of the brooding, the anxious and jittery. Songs such as When People Die In Small Rooms with its ominous bass rumble lingering over sharp guitar stabs and Richie’s inauspicious vocal performance create a truly claustrophobic atmosphere, a theme common throughout their debut EP. Vocalist Richie himself put it in one interview that there is a ‘melancholy undertow’ in the lyrics of the band and even in their more up-tempo songs there is vulnerability lurking behind some of the dark boots and leather jacket posturing that fronts the stage. If you only listen to just one track then New York-London-Paris-Tokyo is the stand out feature and contains all the Super-Cannes trademarks, Jams tight militarist drums, Davy’s swirling guitar effects and Richie’s intense baritone.

Described by BBC Merseyside presenter Dave Monk as ‘a group you really have to listen to’, Super Cannes are carrying on the fine tradition in Liverpool of superb Neo-Psychedelia acts such as The Teardrop Explodes and Echo & the Bunnymen and I for one hope their star continues to rise.

Their debut EP ‘Idee Fix’ is out now. 

New York-London-Paris-Tokyo- by supercannes

by Leo Gibbons-Plowright