Marcus Foster // Live Review

Towards the end of Liverpool Music Week, Mojo leant their stage to Marcus Foster and an array of both local and up and coming support acts.

The evening was kicked off by Emily In The Woods, a London based artist whose songs have an air of Joni Mitchell about them, complimented by a voice that has the same huskiness as Norah Jones’. Armed with just her guitar, Emily managed to captivate the (somewhat chatty and cocktail fuelled) audience, so that by the end of her performance Mojo’s lively atmosphere was suspended for a moment for the beautiful track,Steal His Heart.

Next, twenty year old, local lad Luke Fenton perked up the audience with his upbeat and youthful sound that stood out from the relaxed sound of the evening’s other artists. His simple songs about love and life sent the audience into a trance of swaying and head bobbing whilst this young Bob Dylan look alike very much kept his cool.

Headliner Marcus Foster’s set was forty minutes of strong vocals and incredible guitar. Foster has had an amazing year so far after the release of his first albumNameless Path and his single I Was Broken. Such success was more than justified as the audience witnessed a strong and ‘on top form’ performance by Foster, affirming that he is soon to be a big name in music. His melancholy yet beautifully written songs seemed to turn the scene at Mojo into a sepia image. The rough-around-the-edges vocals and soft guitar playing created a memorable and nostalgic atmosphere in the crammed, dimly lit venue. By the end of the set an appreciative Marcus Foster received a truly heart-felt applause from the wide and inspired audience. Clearly, I wasn’t the only one who thinks this guy is going to become a huge success.

by Tilly Sharp