LSRadio wins a Student Radio Award!!

On Monday, LSRadio’s Station Manager Sam van Geffen was named Station Manager of the year at the third annual “I Love Student Radio” awards, held at the Student Radio Association (SRA) conference in Bradford. The “I Love Student Radio” Awards celebrates the people in student radio that work tirelessly behind the scenes at student stations across the country.

Sam was delighted with the result: “I couldn’t actually believe it for the first split second…but it’s going to be great to take the award back home, back to Liverpool, back to LSRadio and show everyone that we’re here, we’re successful and we’re being recognised nationally…we’ve come a long long way.”

Lee Sevenoaks, Development Officer of the SRA said “there were obviously various nominations, not just from LSRadio, but from all across the country and various different stations, and he’s definitely a worthwhile winner.”

Since Sam took over as Station Manager, LSRadio rebranded from ICON Radio, he secured funding from the Friends of the University of Liverpool for a brand new studio set up, and launched a a new website, amongst other things. Clearly something is being done well as LSRadio attracts a few of thousand listeners per week, which is much higher than in any of the previous 50 years in the station’s history.

Sean Howlett, Head of Station had this to say, “I guess our reception at SRA Conference really surprised us. We have done fantastically well and had an incredible year.

“Sam’s award goes to show that hard effort pays off and it’s really captured how on the ball and hard working we have all been.

“Congratulations to Sam, because we couldn’t be where we are without him, but I feel that it’s also representative of the whole committee’s and membership’s desire to see LSRadio succeed in it’s first year.

“We’re not resting on our laurels; we’re coming back to Liverpool with more next year!”

by Alex Parmer-Yee