Tokyo Seoul
Tokyo Seoul

Summer Festival Reviews- Field Day

Field Day// Victoria Park- London

Field Day in East London’s Victoria Park is an odd mix of promenade and gig. The one day nature of the event and the clientele, usually showing a heavy presence of the area’s fashion focused, mean that it is one of the few festivals where you are likely to see anyone wearing heels. Yet the truly attractive factor, beyond all the pretty young things, is the line up, which never fails to showcase the great and the good of the hotly tipped and up and coming. This summer was no different and so established bands like Metronomy, SBTRKT, Sleigh Bells and (oddly enough) Franz Ferdinand, mixed with their more hyped cousins such as Jessie Ware, The Internet or Toy.

The heavily hyped nature of the line up meant that some acts, such as Canadian scene leader Grimes, conjured huge support from those eager to see whether it all was worth it. Whilst there was a hardcore of those willing to brave arriving for the opening bands, even those lower down the bill were often still tipped to rise, some of the earlier acts were a little devoid of attention, lots of people either not turning up until their picks were playing or were held up by the frankly horrific queuing system, causing frustration and not a few cries of “but Friends are on now!”.

Even with this, Field Day’s organisers once more showcased their ability to pick pretty much every new and interesting band and put them on, on the same day, often at the same time. It’s the only festival so intense as to lead to choice laden panic attacks. This can only be a good thing.

/ By Louis van Kleeff