Fossil Collective// The Shipping Forecast Hold/ 16.10.12

The chilly evening of October 16th led me to stumble upon the delights of Fossil Collective in the welcoming sanctuary of The Shipping Forecast hold. The band, formed around the core of Leeds based duo David Fendick and Johnny Hooker, collaborate with a number of other musicians and brought a further 3 talented hairy men along with them. The band are well known for their capability in playing a diverse range of instruments and showcased this well, bearing the musical gifts of drums, a number of guitars, a double bass, keyboard and even occasionally a tambourine throughout the set.

The opening song was a well rounded number called “Rivers Edge” which caught the attention of the intimate crowd. Following this was the title song of the imminent EP release “On and On” which provided the audience with a fuller sound and chorus of beautiful harmonies created by 3 vocalists including Fendick, and Hooker. The set continued much the same with highlights including a cover of “The Power of Love” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood which was diffused with the band’s distinctive harmonies and a foot tapping bass line. Closing the set with “Let it go” probably their most popular song to date, the band delivered a package of fun and left everyone feeling glad they came.

The band were successful in providing the crowd with a unique sound. Delightful stories created with heartfelt lyrics gave the set a peaceful, chilled out feel while the punchy kick drum, intricate guitar solos and first-rate keyboard melodies gave the audience something to sway to and remember long after it had all faded away.

//Becki Pye