Golden Fable// The Kazamir/ 6.10.12

After an afternoon of running around in the rain throwing a lacrosse ball from one mud spattered stick to another, getting dressed up and going to a gig was admittedly not at the top of my to do list. But the guilt of letting down my friend overthrew my urge to lie in bed with a hot water bottle and ten minutes later I was in the cab and heading towards The Kazimier on Wolstenholme Square. A first timer to The Kazimier I didn’t know what to expect but on entering the slightly bedraggled looking building I felt like I was walking onto a film set. Should I have ever been in an old fashioned cinema I’m sure that’s what it would have reminded me of, with stairs on either side leading to a balcony with sofas and little bar tables.

Originating from North Wales, Golden Fable evolved from the ‘Tim and Sam’s The Tim and the Sam Band’ and pursued a style which I personally have never come across before. If the lead singer’s feather eyelashes were striking, they had nothing on her mesmerising vocals. Described by ‘The Recommender’ as ‘storytelling chamber pop’ her voice blends incredibly with the male harmonies, especially with their use of delay and reverb. Contrasted by the intricate high hat and percussive rhythms, the hypnotic vocals octave each other and give the sound further depth. I could confidently speak for the rest of the audience by saying they were equally stunned by the sound the trio were producing.

Unlike countless bands today, there was refreshing variation between their tracks, however all maintaining the same distinctive vocals and delicate guitar parts. If you haven’t yet been fortunate enough to discover Golden Fable I strongly recommend you keep your eyes and ears out. I loved their performance at the Kazimier, needless to say we came away with their email address, their latest album and the t-shirt…

/Maddy Hunter