The Listpool//Joe Horsman

It’s time for all of those end of the year lists, what was the best? Which albums made your brain explode into joy? We thought that its probably no good to bore you with why we think they’re the best, but let you decide from what we consider to be some of the best tracks on those best albums; LSRadio’s Joe Horsman shares his own favourites from this year:

5- Grimes 

Visions – Tracks: Be A Body – Oblivion

4- Death Grips

The Money Store – Tracks: I’ve Seen Footage – The Fever (Aye Aye)

3- XXYYXX

XXYYXX – Tracks: About You – Fields

2- Ty Segall Band

Slaughterhouse – Tracks: I Bought My Eyes –  Wave Goodbye

1 – Frank Ocean

Channel Orange – There’s not much I can say about Channel Orange that hasn’t been said already this year. After his work with hip hop collective Odd Future, Ocean has already bloomed into one of the most accessible modern artists of our time. Channel Orange blends the finest and smoothest elements of soul, jazz, R’n’B and employs them to create some of the most unpredictable and interesting melodies we’ve heard in ages. You never quite know where a song is going on this album but you can guarantee that each track will surprise you either lyrically, melodically or production-wise. Frank manages to keep alive a sense of integrity and innocence in his constantly ranging and tender vocals whilst focusing on the difficult and potentially pretentious topics of his religion, drug addiction, depression and sexuality. On a first listen the album can feel slightly disjointed and even frustrating, but it’d be an understatement to say it’s a grower. Each song constantly changes path and evolves with an unpredictability that somehow manages to take you from one beautiful melody to another almost seamlessly.  It is, in my opinion, the standout album of 2012 in terms of its beautiful simplicity, melodic complexity and effortlessly achieved accessibility.

Tracks: Thinkin Bout You – Pyramids

/Joe Horsman