Listpool // Jack Smith

Fresh from a year of bringing you the freshest new electronica every week, LSRadio’s Jack Smith brings you his run down of his five favourite releases of 2012.

5. Why Do U Feel? – Moodymann

One of the most sumptuously soulful tracks of the year, if anyone still needed reminding of this detroit legend’s relevance.

4.Doing What I Got – Isaac Tichauer

One of the standout house producers this year, you can download most of his work on his soundcloud for free, as he’s just generous like that. You can catch his melodic beats in person when he tours the UK in February.

3.What I Might Do – Ben Pearce

In a year where 4×4 dominated the dance floor their where certain tunes that couldn’t help but stick out. That sample, That bass line. It has to be Ben Pearce.

2. Survival Tactics – Joey Bada$$

It was a big year for the east coast with big releases from both A$AP and Odd future, but for me the standout artists looking to make it big in 2013 has to be Joey Bada$$ and Pro Era, this absolute banger off his mixtape 1999 has been making waves since its release, with Capital STEEZ’s verse highlighting the tragedy of losing such a great MC so young. Joey’s show in Liverpool saw a stage invasion the sweat pits of Liverpool haven’t seen in a while, the image of the hipsters of the shipping forecast bouncing with some of Brooklyn’s finest will stay with me as much as the smell of spilt red stripe.

1. Whats In Your Head? – Disclosure

A favourite on most ‘best of’ lists at the end of this year, 2012 was really the year the young upstarts of the UK dance music scene broke the big time. Though their newest offering “Latch” shows a worryingly populist drift away from the 90s infused dance floor fillers the lads have been pumping out like its nothing, early release such as “Tenderly” and “My Intention Is War!” cemented them as one of the most exciting new artists of the year, with their remixes of the likes of Jessie Ware becoming club anthems within a few short months. Their live show at Liverpool’s Abandon Silence brought down the roof, upstaging veteran glaswegian Mosca, an impressive feat for 2 teens from South London, one of which needed a fake ID.  Big things to come from these boys in 2013, with their infectious mix of uk garage and deep house perfectly in tune with the current Uk Scene, whilst equally helping to define it.