Four Tet// The Hold, The Shipping Forecast // 21.2.13

After concluding his residency at London’s Plastic People in 2009, Four Tet’s love for the dance floor has continued to grow, heavily influencing both his recorded output and his DJ sets. It has been his ability to incorporate elements of house music into his recent releases ‘There Is Love in You’ and ‘Pink’, whilst maintaining the minimalistic, drum driven sound that defined his earlier work which has allowed Hebden to enjoy success both on record and on the dance floor. 
The Shipping Forecast’s ‘hold’, is reminiscent of the clubs such as Plastic People where Four Tet, AKA Kieran Hebden, first made his name as a DJ. It’s small, dark and tonight it’s packed to capacity. It was clear from the start that Hebden was in his element, playing an eclectic mix of music focussing heavily on dub and reggae in the early part of the set, before bringing up the tempo with recent single ‘The Track I’ve Been Playing…’ and Happa’s remix of his own ‘Jupiters’. The set was less experimental than many of Hebden’s other mixes, and was centred around deep, bass-heavy house, to which the crowd responded well. The atmosphere continued to build throughout the three hour set, and peaked when Hebden electrified the room with 90s classic ‘God Made Me Phunky’. This was followed closely by Daphni’s ‘Ye Ye’, a track which has repeatedly drawn huge responses from crowds since its release in 2011. Hebden closed the set with ‘Nova’, the product of his collaboration with Burial, to which the crowd showed their respect with chants of ‘Four Tet is a Scouser’ and ‘one more tune’. Clearly in high spirits, Hebden obliged by surprising everyone in the now-sweaty room with Jimi Hendrix’s thunderous ‘Cross town Traffic’.
The night was special for both the crowd and Hebden, who later tweeted ‘Liverpool was a slice of heaven last night’. It has been three years since Four Tet last played Liverpool, but I have a feeling we won’t be waiting that long for the return of the now honorary Scouser again.

/Harry Lewis.