The Collections
The Collections

LSRadio X Sound City 2013- Picks of the Day

Collectors Club//
Six-piece Middlesbrough group, Collectors Club have been tipped off by the BBC as 2013’s ‘one to watch’ and it’s obvious why. Their debut singles’ catchy lyrics and blissful guitar riffs creates a feeling of excitement for afternoons in the summer sun. The perfect harmonies of the group add an extra layer of fun to their sound and are ones we are most intrigued to see live. If you feel the same, get to Mello Mello at 10pm on the Thursday

Theme Park//

These guys have been gathering hype since late 2011 but their debut album only broke at the end of February this year, meaning that the trio will really have something to prove to their fans. They’re funky as hell; complex bass riffs running under more tropical electronic samples and a soulful vocal from Miles Haughton all combine to keep their sound fun. Check them out at Zanzibar at 11.30pm on the Friday for a euphoric Indie Pop dance party to get you in the mood.

Delphic//

Guitars and synths, pianos and drum machines, this Stockport originating four-piece have honed their musical genius over the past few years by developing a tasty rock-electro balance. Sweeping string sections are met with experimental intros, poignant lyrics, funky dance breaks and so much more. These Manc-centric guys from the Kitsune-cool camp just know what they’re doing. Every track on the new album, ‘Collections’, is a treat for the ears, so make it one for the eyes too and get to The Art Academy on Saturday 4th at 11.45pm.

Bird//                                                                                                                        One of Liverpool’s most invigorating bands, this atmospheric folk trio has been ruffling feathers since they took flight. Fowl puns aside though, their dream pop had the crowds at last year’s Sound City mesmerized; considering the cult following they have built and the fantastic new release ‘Ophelia’ this year’s set can only be better. Catch them at the Epstein at 10.15pm

Unknown Mortal Orchestra//

Do you like funky guitar music? Do you find watching and listening to an extremely proficient guitarist play enjoyable? Do you like Tame Impala? Do you enjoy sounds influenced largely by the 60s? Are you a fan of lo-fi? Do you like New Zealand? Do you like charismatic frontmen? Well, if you answered yes for at least three of these questions, go see Unknown Mortal Orchestra at The Garage on Friday the 3rd at 9.30 pm. Off the back of releasing their second album, aptly named ‘II’, UMO, as they are fondly referred to by their fans, will blow your socks off.

Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17