LSRadio X Sound City 2013// Picks of the Day

King Krule//
neé Zoo Kid, Archy Marshall has been making atmospheric and dark soul tinged guitar music since he was 16 and, after a break which engendered the name change, is back to give us some more of his mind. Despite being fantastically young, Archy’s voice and semi-nihilism speak of an emotional experience far beyond his years; following his brooding bass lines and lyricism can take you into some dark places. This is a good thing, King Krule’s songs are genuine and provoking in their content, slightly heart-wrenching at points, innately danceable in others, it’s in the contrast of his reverb drenched vocal and the warm instrumentation that really makes him worth looking into. Have a see for yourself on Friday at the Garage, 10.30pm.

Hacktivist//

Marrying revolutionary lyrics, MC’ing and heavy riffs into a truly unique sound, Hacktivist channel the discontent of the British youth into sonic mayhem. 2013 got off to a big start for these lads when they supported Enter Shikari on their mini UK tour in April, and things can only get better for them from here. Check them out on Saturday evening at the O2 Academy Liverpool at 7.30pm

Wave Machines//

Having released their second album ‘Pollen’ this January,  the four-piece Liverpool group are not to be missed at this year’s Sound City. Fusing pop music with funk and surprisingly coherent lyrics, Wave Machines have been looking to build upon the critical success of their first album, ‘Wave If You’re Really There’. With their recent release ‘Pollen’ they have proven they are masters of creating provocative music which is as complex as it is accessible. You can go bask in their Wave Machine-y goodness at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral on Friday the 3rd at 7.30pm.

All We Are//

Once in a while a band arrives onto a scene with such musical honesty and originality, yet alluding to the greats of the past, that they make you want to notice them. All We Are are just that band. Drummer Rich, guitarist Luis and bassist Guro, though based in Liverpool, mix together a wealth of international influence to bring richly colourful textures to their overwhelmingly mature song writing. The three-piece are charismatic yet modest, bringing a sense of true friendship when playing on stage together, which comes across heartfelt to any audience that has the pleasure to hear them live. They can play (and have played) the most intimate of venues, such as coffee shops and chapels, yet, through a use of layering and challenging harmonising, create a depth of sound that would not be out of place on a film score. Leaf (Upstairs) : Thursday 10.15pm

Ghostchant//

Ghostchant is A DJ/Producer from Liverpool who is now based in London. Part of the increasingly popular Future Garage/ Bass Music scene in the UK, Ghostchant is one of the hottest up and comers around. With popular releases out late last year on Audio Rejectz and an E.P due for release on April 13th on Basslight Records, his live set at the Brooklyn Mixer on the Saturday night at 1AM is definitely one to check out.