AlunaGeorge// Liverpool Sound City/ 2.5.13
With the majority of acts today we hear how they met at university or got chatting over their music tastes at a party; it’s not too often that you hear of acts meeting over the internet. AlunaGeorge is just that exception. After getting in contact in 2009 they continuously wrote together in the proceeding years before debuting in 2011 on Sweet Recordings with their “Analyser”/”We Are Chosen” single and have been gaining traction ever since. They first made their break into the top forty with their collaboration with Disclosure and “White Noise”, peaking at No.2. Since then their latest single “Attracting Flies” has been repeatedly played on Radio 1. 
From the size of the crowd at the Duke Street Garage preceding their performance on the opening night of Liverpool Sound City you could tell that these successes so far are causing people to take notice. When they took the stage however, Aluna’s voice was sometimes lost in their mix and a lack of interaction between the duo and the crowd for large portions of their set was slightly disconcerting. It didn’t however seem to affect their overall performance and its clear she’s a particularly talented vocalist. During the periods where George’s production skills and her enticing vocals were in harmony the sound they produced was exciting and fresh.
Although the lack of interaction isn’t the be all and end off of a set, as it progressed the members of the audience that were simply along to experience them live for one of the first times seemingly became less and less interested. While the duo didn’t appear uncomfortable on stage its clear they’ve yet to entirely find their performance style that comes naturally to them in the same way that their tracks appear to come together in the studio. 
Aluna’s confidence does, however, power through. When dancing along to “Your Drums, Your Love” you’d be idiotic to say she’s not enjoying herself while George kept himself busy behind his keyboard for their penultimate tune at the Garage. Their cover of Montell Jordans “This is How We Do It” was one of the highlights of their set, bringing their own flavour to the song, making a cover that they enjoy performing and the audience clearly appreciated. 
While AlunaGeorge are still a relatively young duo finding their feet, these initial teething issues are to be expected. They’ve done a couple of small festivals thus far, now adding Sound City to their portfolio and with Live at Leeds in the coming days I would catch them if you can. They then have a massive summer ahead with performances at Glastonbury, T in The Park, Benicassim and Reading and Leeds; this year is surely going to be theirs and with their debut album being released this June things can only get better for this duo.

/Chris Francis