The Fire Beneath The Sea// Head Of Steam/ 10.05.13

If you weren’t prepared to boogie, going home was an advisable alternative.  Unlike any gig I’ve ever experienced before, this 15 piece all male band (with the exception of a guest singer) exuded an explosion of energy at the beginning of every song, which made not dancing an unlikely prospect. A particularly unique aspect was the level of audience interaction, which was so intimate is was difficult to distinguish between band and audience. ‘Skanking’ was encouraged and despite being in danger of being knocked out by a fellow skanker’s dreadlocks, you couldn’t help but smile at the enthusiasm of not only the performers but the entire audience who themselves radiated a family ambience as everyone seemed to know each other.

From cornets to DJ scratching this band has it all, and the band enhanced their  ‘hip hop/funk/jazz/ska/DnB’  mish mash throughout the gig with an intricate flute solo, powerful drum section, toasting and probably an average bpm of 100. With so much going on it was hard to focus on one thing but the emphasis was undoubtedly on dancing and smiling and all that seemed to matter was having a good time; ‘The key to a smile every once in a while /Is to go where the music’s loud and let your hips go wild’.

This band is comparable to ‘The Cat Empire’ however I would argue they exercise even more energy and probably a wider range of instruments. The Fire Beneath The Sea are not to be missed, upcoming gigs include Fiesta Bombarda – Liverpool on June 1st and Ravenstonedale Festival, Eden Valley on June 14th as well as numerous other festivals over the summer of which details can be found on http://thefirebeneaththesea.com/. I guarantee this band are unlike anything you’ve experienced before – don’t miss it.

/Maddy Hunter