The Hummingbirds// Leaf/ 10.10.13

On Thursday, 10th of October 2013, 250 lucky souls sensible enough to buy their tickets in advance crammed into the upstairs of Leaf on Bold Street. The rest of the world’s population missed out, I’m afraid. It is for you unlucky people that I write this to tell you what you missed and should not miss again in the future.

After foot-tapping, upbeat warm-up sets from support acts The Romleys and The Springtime Anchorage, you could spot six lads weaving their way to the front, smartly dressed as though they’d just come up from sipping tea downstairs (Leaf is a tea shop/bar/venue/other cool stuff in case you’ve never been). They launched into a dynamic set including songs from their first, self-titled EP, released on July 15th, as well as new material and a few covers.

While audience favourites like ‘Talking of Tomorrow’ and their first single ‘Emma’ inspired sing-alongs that almost drowned the music itself, the new material was also well received and left you longing for that new record to be released. This sold out gig left no doubt that they deserved their title as Liverpool’s newly crowned ‘Band of the Year 2013’ and, in case you were oblivious to that fact, they were happy to remind you of it. If you voted for them before the Liverpool Music Awards on August 25th, be certain of their gratitude.

After a cover of the Beatles’ ‘Something’ and a shortened version of ‘Day Tripper’, they fittingly topped the set off with closers ‘Back in Liverpool’ and ‘Bankrupt Blues’, both of which got even the stiffest spectators to dance and sing along.

All in all, the down-to-earth Liverpool six piece delivered a storming set of, as they like to describe it, Merseybeat inspired tunes; catchy enough to get stuck in your head for hours, witty enough to make you smile and energetic enough to ensure you’d be extra sweaty as you stepped out into the cold Liverpool night.

/Malina Modlich