Fuzz – Fuzz

Another month, another Ty Segall project (if you haven’t already listened to Ty Segall then you need to stop reading this and start listening). The San Francisco garage rock multi-instrumentalist songwriter has this time worked with Charles Moothart and Roland Cosio to create, of course, yet another solid album.

Segall this time takes up his less familiar position as drummer and predictably puts in a standout performance. It doesn’t take long for opening track ‘Eastern Gate’ to rocket into the familiar raucously psychedelic ‘fuzz’ sound that Segall has become so famous for. Moothart’s vocals are just as deranged and disdainful as Segall’s, who support each other on vocals throughout. The heavy, hanging, distorted riffs are as stormy and brooding as you’d expect, but Fuzz go from an anarchic explosion of colliding sound in songs like ‘Sleigh Ride’, to a more slow burning sluggish pace in ‘What’s In My Head?’.

The highlight of the album comes for me at the half-way point with the track ‘Loose Sutures’. After three minutes, this track oozes into a number of slowly building bass and drum solos, before finally erupting into a brilliant shit-storm of a climax. After a more folky release with Ty Segall in August, it’s great to see a return to this style. I was already starting to miss the fuzz.

Favourite Song: Loose Sutures

/Joe Horsman