Picks of the Week// Submotion Orchestra

Returning to the venue touted by many as “the best in Liverpool”, Submotion Orchestra play The Kazimier on Tuesday, 12th November.

image

Having performed at Mojo in 2011 and at Eric’s bar in 2012, Submotion Orchestra have jumped into the big league, and this time around are not to be missed.

The band’s current tour comes in the wake of their newest EP release, 1968, which has gained a five star rating on iTunes with rave reviews to match. More importantly, it is a fine masterpiece from Submotion Orchestra, a chilled out pleasure to match any choc ice I’ve ever encountered. Influenced by Soul, Jazz, Dub, Ambient Electronica and Dubstep in varied measure, their first album Finest Hour forms with smooth vocals and slow, heavy bass. Submotion Orchestra’s Fragments, released last year builds upon the hypnotic powers they have developed while keeping a finger firmly on the pulse with their sound.

The band is remarkable in their cross generic appeal, and exceptional in the fact that their live performances are reputedly better than their studio work. A difficult feat to achieve, yet not one out of the reach of these massively critically acclaimed artists. With Ruby Wood’s beautiful vocals and the hand of Ruckspin guiding Submotion Orchestra up into the stratosphere, this is one show you need to be at.

/Jon Ferguson