Kitchen Street presents.. Lee Rands & Chris Maran// Kitchen Street/ 30.11.13

Kitchen Street is growing in leaps and bounds. Still touting itself as a “pop up” venue, it has long outgrown that status and in years to come should be fully fledged as a benchmark of the Liverpudlian scene. Eschewing the designs of the clinical, corporate, and slightly sanitised bigger venues situated in town, Kitchen Street promoted its own event; a five hour long mastermix from two maverick DJs on the underground scene: Lee Rands and Chris Martin. The dance vibe was, of course, dominant and yet these two DJs didn’t fall into the trap of playing the ever popular boring house tracks that dominate the scene if you look in all the wrong places. There was a wonderful coming together of all the little sub categories of dancy music that I as a music journalist both despise and rely upon. There was consistent, seamless mixing and a selection of the very best tracks put side by side by two DJs who not only knew their stuff, but seemed as if they loved every minute of it. From my perspective, the night was enjoyable, though not outstanding. With the quality of music and talent on the scene at the moment, it would take a real big fish to make waves on a pond already awash with ripples.

Jon Ferguson