Dot// Shipping Forecast 3/ 3/ 14

Dot. is already well established on the Liverpool scene, having made something of a name of themselves through their previous residency in Heebie’s Basement. This time around there has been a significant step taken to up Dot.’s game, with a understatedly loud promo campaign, and new home in The Hold. Fresh from its recent extension, The Shipping Forecast is shaping up to be a progressively more exciting player on the Liverpool nightlife scene.

The event’s title “BASS” stated exactly what the night was going to be about. Booking big acts for a monday night can be a risky venture, but the entire show went down storm. The 19 year old SG Lewis put in a introductory mix that put his recent set at Inkarta to shame; his melodic interpretations of how Deep House should sound warmed up a cold Hold. Chig had been the act that I looked forward to most, his original productions and mini mixes posted on Soundcloud made sure of that; but he had a surprise in store. A solid hour of Chig spinning some really very dark vinyl was as welcome as it was unexpected, it more than made up for the mysterious no show of LGLZ, so who cares. Dot. may well be cornering a market for all things Garage and Bass related, as the Hold held a respectable turn out for a ticketed event; I scanned the room, thinking how many more people could be packed into the space, where will Dot. be in a year?

So then the big guns took to the decks, Flava D and Moony taking turns to aurally dry hump their audience into submission, only to finish off with a vicious b2b until three am. After sneaking into the DJ booth, Flava D calmly began to destroy the Hold with her characteristically backbeat percussion and inspired, unorthodox baselines. This South London lass kept her snapback low over her face, her backpack on and kept rolling out cream crackers, only pausing occasionally to remind an overzealous fanatic that she was there to be a damn good DJ, not to flirt. Moony had the spotlight trained straight on him, after releasing a frankly brilliant remix of Drake’s Poundcake, there may have been plenty of pressure on this already established name on the scene; but he didn’t show it. Absolute nonchalance emanated from the critically illuminated and aptly named Moony; a mix of talent and originality slot into an hour long set. I can’t even begin to review the horror and brilliance the two headliners wrought together.

It’s surprising how much dancing can be done in the early hours of a Monday morning, and that in itself has some positive and negative aspects. But committed bassheads will always find away to make a decent night absolutely wild. I crashed out as soon as I hit the duvet; but twitter was alive and well, and it seemed like a good night was had by all who had the energy to tweet about Dot. I awoke with my the sound of a good night ringing in my ears, the reminder that next time, I’m going to bring my earplugs. Big up the residents, big up The Shipp, big up Dot. for what I hope is the start of something beautiful.

/Jon Ferguson

The Horrors Interview – 12/10/17