10 Reasons The Bugged Out Weekender should be the next festival on your wish-list

Last week, we were glad enough to try our hand at some gonzo style coverage of The Bugged Out Weekender. Make sure to check back for our picks of the Festivals acts and highlights,  but here are our 10 reasons to make sure you cop a ticket for the next Bugged Out Weekender. 

1. It’s a rave in a Pontins.
  2. It’s twice the laugh and twice as surreal as that sentence would suggest.
  3. It’s just had its 20th anniversary. In terms of the longitude of a dance music night, this puts it up there with some of the most influential in the country. They’ve been booking artists, tracking trends, and been at the cutting edge of British dance music since ‘Relax’ was number one. They know what they’re on about with their bookings.
  4. No tents here people. Instead of crawling into a sleeping bag as the sun goes up, you can retreat to one of the high spec (by 70s standards) ‘chalet’. Look, it’s not the Ritz, but it’s got a shower, it’s got a kettle, and you can pre-drink in them. The arrangement of the identical buildings also gives the eerie sense that this is where all parties would be held if the soviets had won the cold war. 
  5. It’s a rave in a Pontins.
  6. Tired of paying £6 for a pint of warm, watery Tuborg in a field?  Pints are £2. If you’re skint, you won’t find that at any other festival. Trust me, I’ve looked. 
  7. It’s your chance to see some of the heavy weights of the UK scene, as well as some of the legends that have shaped electronic music today. The immortal technique of DJ EZ, forward thinking selections of Joy O and disco refixes of Todd Terje were just a taste of the breadth of artists on offer.
  8. The Liverpool scene was well represented, with the boys from Abandon Silence opening the festival, and closing it at the secret Mixmag party. Taking part in the #furnesswatch was a highlight, tracking wavertree wanderer, Chibuku resident and all round force of nature Rich across the festival.
  9. If you follow your ears, every year on the last night, there’s a secret party held by Mixmag. Jackmaster closed off proceedings, and as is the way with the Numbers founder, everyone’s tops were aff by 9am kicking out time. Theres no snobbery here, just a mixed bag of dance fans from across the country all gathered to forget the world for one weekend where your as likely to see the DJs in the chalet parties as you are on the stages.
  10. It’s a rave in a Pontins. Ever been on a funbike after no sleep while a Seth Troxler lookalike cycles round a bike full of free bevies? You haven’t lived mate. 

/Jack Smith

The Horrors Interview – 12/10/17