Dan Croll// The Kazimier/ 29.3.14

“I love you Dan!”

“Was that my mum? That’s embarrassing.”

Luckily for rising Liverpudlian sensation Dan Croll, no, that was not his mother, but one of the adoring members of his sold out Kazimier crowd. Having headed out on a UK tour to promote his number 26 debut album Sweet Disarray, tonight Croll is playing the final night in his hometown of Liverpool. With a crowd mixed up of numerous family members, locals and fans from further afield, this show marks an occasion of celebration for the former LIPA student.

2014 has been an important year for Croll, with his rapidly increasing buzz culminating in the release of Sweet Disarray on 10th March. He has supported London Grammar on an extremely large-scale UK tour, been selected for a number of international festivals and has a US tour eating up April and May. He has achieved all of this in a swift two years at the meagre age of 23 – a feat that seems near impossible when considering the chronology.

Tonight’s show at The Kazimier is representative of all that Croll has managed to achieve in an incredibly small space of time. With only one album under his belt, his music seems somewhat mature and developed already. Sweet Disarray seems to be a loose collection of influences rather than being applicable to a specific genre, signifying perhaps the rollercoaster the past 24 months have been for him. Humbly taking the stage Croll and friends blasted through a set that has become today’s sound of Liverpool. This isn’t a rock show, this isn’t a pop show – this is something completely different that Croll has masterfully created in his time as a musician. The crowd is completely at ease as drinks flow and chatter flies freely. This feels more like a large party than anything else, which adds a genuine atmosphere to the crowded Kaz. Croll’s music is incredibly varied and expansive. This is reflected in the live show, with copious amounts of the crowd belting “indie bangers” such as ‘From Nowhere’ and ‘In / Out’. At times there is a more sensitive side to both Croll and the crowd – moments from his closer ‘Home’ and encore ‘Sweet Disarray’ offer a reminder that there is more to Croll that initially is taken for granted. There is so much more to Dan Croll than what is heard upon first listening, tracks such as ‘Compliment Your Soul’ and ‘Only Ghost’ investing in afrobeat and trop-pop. It is sounds like these, along with his band’s stunning four part harmonies, which invite such a welcome response from friends and family. Dan Croll is definitely going places – having explored so much with Sweet Disarray, this begs the question as to what he will do next. All we can do is sit, wait, and enjoy what there already is – and wait patiently for what is to come.

/Luke Halls/Emily Clark