Sound City// Who’s Who

Liverpool Sound City is taking over Liverpool on 1st-3rd of May, bringing the most exciting break through artists to our doorstep! We feel it’s only right for LSRadio to give you a break down of the artists you should be getting to know.

Jagwar Ma

image

Few bands generated the level of excitement that Jagwar Ma did through their inclusion on the Sound City 2014 bill. Taking to the Liverpool stage before embarking on the UK leg of their tour, dedicated fans and passive listeners alike are keenly anticipating a preview new material. Their debut album ‘Howlin’ was championed by everyone, from NME and Pitchfork to Noel Gallagher and Foals, for all it’s sun soaked guitar-dance circa Manchester 1990. Whilst all Sound City goers will hope that the Australian trio will bring some sunshine from down under, it’s a given that no other band will emulate the live atmosphere of 90’s summer dance they are sure to create.

‘Uncertainty’:

Blood Red Shoes

image

Alternative duos have enjoyed a sort of renaissance in popularity in recent times, reflected in Blood Red Shoes inclusion for this years Sound City. Spearheading the revival of ‘less is more’ when it comes to band members, the Brighton duo has not sacrificed any volume through omission of fellow musicians. Their recent self-titled album, the fourth in their collection, whilst not achieving the chart position and airplay it deserved, was enthusiastically received by both critics and dedicated fans alike. Rest assured, Blood Red Shoes will be looking to dispel the perception that they cannot bear the responsibilities of co-fronting this year’s line up.  With all the grit of their earlier material polished off immaculately with new tracks venturing into blues-rock, fans of The White Stripes will see similarities extend beyond the number of people on stage. Armed with an album looking to thrust them out of cult status, Sound City may be one of few remaining opportunities to see this band up close. 

‘An Animal’:

Jack Garratt

image

For all the ferocious, adrenaline filled performances at Sound City, there are also acts that cater for individuals of a more tranquil disposition. Jack Garratt is one such act. Utilising the falsetto range of vocals weaved over delicate piano, fans of Bon Iver will feel a tinge of excitement listening to the musical styling of this particular singer/songwriter. His first release ‘I Couldn’t Want You Anyway’ is a masterfully crafted showcase of all his aforementioned musical qualities, affirming Garratt as a standout up and coming artist at this year’s festival. Whilst it is true that the acts boasting more volume will usually grab many of the plaudits, last year we saw Dan Croll set the stage alight armed with only an acoustic guitar. It’s a given therefore that some will be expecting Garratt to turn a few heads, but we anticipate the fireworks  this kind of act can cause. 

I Couldn’t Want You Anyway – 

Public Service Broadcasting

image

No other band will provide the live experience that festivalgoers will get during a Public Service Broadcasting set at this years Sound City. Simultaneously educating and entertaining, a service so intrinsic to them they named their album ‘Inform – Educate – Entertain’, this year’s Sound City audience are in for a unique musical experience. Recycling old propaganda films, and sampling the audio snippets over their own backing track, the London duo split opinion regarding their brilliance/pointlessness. Perhaps more of an exercise in experimentation than a long term musical project for members Willgoose and Wrigglesworth, they have nevertheless landed slots at SXSW and Glastonbury through the buzz surrounding their live performances.  Crowd favourites ‘Spitfire’ and ‘Signal 30’ are sure to impress even the most pedantic audience members. Expect an hour of whirring-guitars, climactic synths, crashing drums and unavoidable education.

/George Aird