The Collections
The Collections

Sound City// Who’s Who

Liverpool Sound City is taking over Liverpool on 1st-3rd of May, bringing the most exciting break through artists to our doorstep! We feel it’s only right for LSRadio to give you a break down of the artists you should be getting to know.

Big Ups

image

Brooklyn four-piece Big Ups raised the bar in terms of abrasive, intelligent punk-inspired grunge (or grunge-inspired punk?) with the release of their debut full length in January of this year, Eighteen Hours Of Static. Bristling with furiously direct instrumentation and fronted by the brooding Joe Galarraga, Big Ups’ performances have garnered a reputation for the intensity and perceptive aggression they bring to the table. For those with an appreciation of the more visceral, Big Ups’ Saturday night performance is a must see.

Fat White Family

image

Anyone who has taken a vague interest in London’s live music scene, the past six months in particular, will almost certainly have come across Fat White Family. Increasingly renowned for their raucous exhibits of outrageous rock ‘n’ roll, attracting rave reviews from the likes of Noisey and The Guardian, to name a few. The South London-based band is set to take Screenadelica by storm on the festival’s Thursday evening. A disgustingly fantastic psychedelic experience awaits.

Jaws

image

Birmingham has certainly witnessed a revival in its music scene recently, spitting out bands such as Peace and Swim Deep in a hazy mix of laid-back indie pop with elements of grunge thrown in for good measure. This new wave, however, includes at its helm the four-piece outfit Jaws, who mix luscious instrumentals with breezy vocals and forge a solution abounding in summery charm. Visiting Sound City as part of their current UK tour, Thursday evening at The Shipping Forecast promises to showcase one of Britain’s most refreshing young bands.

Spring King

image

Offering a healthy dose of upbeat garage pop all the way from Manchester, Spring King’s cheerful induction will be one to keep an eye out for at this year’s Sound City. With their debut In All This Murk And Dirt, released last year, the band have successfully spread their infectious tones to an every growing fan base, led confidently forwards by talented writer and producer Tarek Musa. With mentions in magazines from The Line Of Best Fit through to NME, the contents of Spring King’s arsenal make them a band to watch not just on the Friday night at EVAC, but further into the conceivable future. 

Ratking 

‘Unrelenting and abrasive it may be, but So It Goes turns a new page in New York hip-hop.’ So ends The Guardian’s review of Ratking’s debut album, released 8th April this year and crystallizing their position as a vital component of the modern rap scene. Comprised of members – Wiki, Hak and Sporting Life, the three piece deliver a sound packed with passionate vocals and dirty instrumentals, profoundly impressing upon its audience a gritty aesthetic often likened to prestigious acts in the vein of Wu-Tang Clan. Set to perform in The Kazimier, Ratking’s Saturday evening will be spent showcasing tracks from their game-changing debut to an audience you’d be a fool not to be a part of.

Wolf Aliceimage

With a name that perfectly embodies the endearing bite of their music, Wolf Alice was a 2013 ‘lovechild’. With several singles as well as an EP under their belt, namely 2013’s Blush, the London-based quartet ended the year with accolades raining down as magazines lauded the musical prowess of the group. The amalgamation of tender and ferocious runs through their compositional veins, and is set to be unleashed upon EVAC on the Friday evening of this year’s Sound City. Those who are unaware of Wolf Alice I encourage you to make an extra effort to catch their live show over the weekend; they will no doubt become your next favourite band.

/Ben Lynch

Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17