Sound City// Who’s Who

Liverpool Sound City is taking over Liverpool on 1st-3rd of May, bringing the most exciting break through artists to our doorstep! We feel it’s only right for LSRadio to give you a break down of the artists you should be getting to know.

The Hummingbirds

image

Just home from touring the continent and ahead of their sold-out O2 Academy headline show, the decorated Liverpudlian five-piece are the newest addition to the city’s coveted list of musical exports. Their lively, Merseybeat-heavy country and folk tunes don’t fall short of the jangly, upbeat feel-good trademark sound and sweet vocal harmonies of the 50s and 60s. No mere retro-outfit though, their quirky, sweeping energy and endearing, witty lyricism give their songs a unique and raw, down-to-earth feel. As they will be playing several different venues throughout the festival (gig on a ferry ‘cross the Mersey, anyone?) you will have plenty of opportunity to get your fix of beautifully handcrafted, locally sourced tunes in intimate settings before their inevitable rise to bigger things.

Blaenavon

image

Alternative indie folk rock outfit Blaenavon have gotten off to a truly remarkable start: before even being old enough to get into their own 18+ shows they’ve already been noted by the likes of NME’s Radar and sold out shows across the country. This is no surprise however, as their masterfully forged, energetic, dark and catchy tunes undoubtedly play in the big leagues already. See for yourself and come down to their set in the Shipping Forecast at 8 PM on Saturday.

Battle Lines

image

Having performed at Reading and Leeds festival last year after winning Futuresound 2013, the Leeds-based four-piece warmed up stateside at Austin’s SXSW last month. Their sombre synth lines and bass hooks, in combination with singer Carly Humphries’ lingering, haunting vocals are reminiscent of acts like Warpaint; however, Battle Lines’ sound is invariably more energetic and multi-layered. You can drown in their dangerously intoxicating waves of dark, overwhelming synth pop in MelloMello on Thursday, 10 PM.

Grizfolk

Yes, we’ve heard folk in various electronic guises, played at half speed and packed with as many synths as a piece of music can possibly fit. But Grizfolk have taken the essential catchiness and danceability of traditional folk and country, thrown in some shoegaze here and there and set it to a four-to-the-floor beat that would have even The XX jumping around like maniacs. So good and simple that there is actually not much else to say about what you should expect when you go see the Californian/Swedish quintet shake up the Kazimier on Thursday at 11:30. Had plans for a night out dancing? Well, this is your favourite club, just with Grizfolk providing the music to match.

Glass Animals

image

Catchy doesn’t go with dark and haunting cerebral electro goodness you say? Let the four-piece around vocalist and songwriter David Bayley prove you wrong then. Just when the high pitched yet sombre and soft vocals are starting to lull you into a trance, the infectious beat and sweeping groove will get your feet moving, whether you want it to or not. You thought hypnosis was bollocks, yet you’ll go down to Kazimier on Saturday at 8:30 for a bit of good music? Yes, you will.

Lanterns on the Lake

image

Hailing from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Lanterns on the Lake have perfected the art of enchanting audiences with their otherworldly mix of surreal soundscapes and beautifully woven melodies. Their repertoire ranges from incredibly soft and haunting lullabies over catchy, richly layered rapids to powerful, rousing torrents of sound. Singer and lyricist Hazel Wilde safely navigates these waters with her remarkably soft, crystal clear voice that stands in odd contrast to, yet perfectly harmonises with, the highly personal content and social and political critique of the lyrics which she so masterfully weaves with wit and poetics. Grab a tea and join Lanterns on the Lake at Leaf on Friday at 12 AM to be showered in their soft, warm electronic folk pop.