Sound City// Who’s Who

Clean Bandit 

image

Clean Bandit are a band of brilliant Cambridge grads who manage to make groovy garage infused pop, loaded with classical strings. They are one of the cleverest, craziest acts you’re likely to come across, relying on a host of vocal collaborations to boil up a completely unique and original sound. They clash chamber music with chart pop, which sounds odd on paper, yet it has taken the radio waves by storm. Par consequence, the outfit are playing the Liverpool Sound City Festival this Thursday. This headlining act is coming off the back of a year that has seen them achieve tremendous chart success with their recent single ‘Rather Be’, as well as receiving great support from DJs such as Annie Mac, Fearne Cotton and Nick Grimshaw. Aside from the music, they run their own record label and successful nightclub National Rail Disco – they certainly are a clever bunch. Catch them on Thursday 1st May at the iconic Liverpool Cathedral at 9pm. Grab a listen of a few of their most recent hotly anticipated releases such as ‘Heart of Fire’ and ‘Extraordinary’. It promises to be a special gig, don’t miss it.

‘Extraordinary’:

Fuck Buttons

image

Showered in reviews which liken their music to environs ranging from the apocalypse to the rising sun, Andrew Hung and Benjamin John Power’s electronic escapade has spawned a collection of records which wear their cataclysmic creativity with pride. 2004 saw the Button’s born in Bristol, to be the musical accompaniment to a movie Hung was working on. The band soon realised the potential for a moody, hypnotic atmospheric sound before releasing their debut, Street Horrrsing, back in 2008. Slow Focus, released last year, only showcased further the majestic drone the band encompass, adding to the canvas of extended Mogawi-esque synths and instrumentals Fuck Buttons have firmly made their own. Join the faithful and flock to Nation on Saturday 2nd May at midnight in order to catch Bristol’s favourite two-piece radiate in all their contorted glory. 

‘The Red Wing’:

The Hold Steady!

image

Holding American bar-rock aloft with both hands, The Hold Steady!’s wordy releases have been narrating potent themes such as drug addiction and religion for around a decade now. Yet they have never allowed for a change in pace to break their remarkable consistency. Teeth Dreams, the band’s sixth record released March this year, extended that list in a powerful showing of poetics and stateside riffs,  revelling in its positive reception and preparing for the band’s subsequent tour. Their show at Sound City announces their entry from across the water, and features as one of only a handful of dates the band are set to play in the UK before they head back again. The Hold Steady!’s experience will mark their performance as particularly special in a festival packed with fresh young talent, and is sure to show the four walls of The Garage the many tricks they have picked up along the way. Catch them at 1am on Saturday 3rd May.

‘I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You’:

The Wytches

image

Grunge is back. The Wytches are another addition to the Sound City lineup, and have been taking no prisoners in the industry recently. With a sonic embodiment of Nirvana and Soundgarden, as well as something particularly unique, the Brighton based-band are spearheading a grunge revival. Their music exudes attitude, and when combined with their long hair and penchant for thrashing about, they really do make an awesome live show. As a result they have gathered a host of high profile admirers, including none other than Mrs. Courtney Love having recently gone on record as a fan of the band. Unmissable for their existing fans and anyone attracted to gigs of the feral variety, they are sure to convert lost Sound City goers into new fans when they take to the stage. Make sure to catch them at Factory on Thursday 1st May at 11pm for some surf-psych grunge madness. 

‘Gravedweller’:

Kodaline

image

Kodaline are sitting as one of the sparkling jewels in the Sound City crown this year. Their live performances are something to behold with ardent expectation and this will surely be no exception. Look out for the soulful and chilling single, ‘All I Want’ from their debut album ‘In a Perfect World’. With extensive radio-play over the course of 2013, their large fan base has become accustomed to their unique, goose bump-inducing harmonies. The Irish band has also made a name for themselves with their incredible live shows, combining vocals that range from being abruptly powerful to intricately fragile. Whilst the artistry displayed through their recorded work is to be commended, it must be seen live to be fully understood. For fans, the only thing to look forward to as much as their set, will be their follow up to their stunning first album. An absolute must-see. They play Liverpool Cathedral on Saturday 3rd May, at 9pm. 

‘One Day’: