Marmozets//Lonely The Brave @ O2 Academy Liverpool – REVIEW 03.10.14

THE-BIG-CHEESE-TOUR-@-ROCK-CITY_Scrape-Counters_Oct-11-2014_1407990740-600x240

The Big Cheese tour at first glance is a diverse and interesting line up. A combination of Marmozets with the rock/ math infused sound, on a joint headline tour with the more straight up and clean sounding Lonely The Brave was one that initially raised the eyebrow, but then the addition of Yorkshire 5-piece Allusondrugs as main support, was the cherry on top.

LSRadio were lucky enough to be granted an audience with all 3 bands, giving us a chance to get their views on the tour, their journey up until now and where they are looking to take their music in the future. But first, the gig itself.

Allusondrugs are a unique band. Having been lucky enough to catch them on the BBC introducing stage at Leeds Festival over the summer, their performance promised not to disappoint. The blend of psychedelic and punk in their music is gritty but beautiful, with well-written and eerie lyrics forming the basis of some real strong tunes. When combined with their incredible showmanship and the stage presence of front man, Jason Moules, it’s rather easy to see why they have gone from strength to strength over the last 2 years.

That’s not to take anything away from any of the other members on stage. The whole band put on a show, jumping around the stage and using all their un-chopped hair to full effect. Having spoken to the band in our previous interview, I got the impression that their trail of loyal fans lends itself to how approachable the lads are, as well as consistently producing high quality live sets.

It was Lonely The Brave’s turn to headline the night at the Liverpool O2, so that meant next on were the explosive and energetic, Marmozets. Fresh from an incredible debut album release (The Weird & Wonderful), which has seen rave reviews from just about every major publication in music press, there was a real buzz in the crowd to see them take to the stage. The band is comprised of 2 sibling sets, something that really comes through in the cohesive nature of their music, designed to fuel the adrenaline they pump into the crowd.

It is refreshing to see a female fronted, rock band not being compared to Paramore, and when seen live, this makes complete sense. The band took no prisoners with their debut album, mixing parts of hardcore with math rock and all the subgenres in between, still leaving room for a sprinkling of catchy hooks. This gives it a sense of accessibility I have not heard in a band this tantalizingly heavy for some time and this comes through lead singer, Becca McIntyre. Her voice cuts through the busy mix with ease and lends itself to anything they want to do.

The band served up my personal highlight of the night as well when they took apart and moved the entire drum kit over the barrier and into the centre of the crowd to play out the last song of their set and album, ‘Back To You’. Incredible.

Lonely The Brave inherited an already bruised and battered audience from the events of the last 2 bands. In fairness, the Cambridge born 5-piece have a much cleaner sound than the others on this tour but this doesn’t stop them from attracting sizeable crowds.

They have a more innocent and easy listening set of songs and there is a danger of their set feeling like the energy has dropped off, although in fairness this is more likely a testament to the job that the previous bands had pulled. Musically, they are extremely tight and well rehearsed. Their stature means they deserve bigger stages and audiences, which would allow them to squeeze every drop of their sound out.

Off the backs of a series of impressive support slots (Lower Than Atlantis, Deftones and the one and only Bruce Springsteen) they are a band on the up, and are rightfully using the momentum of their debut album release to full effect. That was it for The Big Cheese tour’s Liverpool leg, a strong marker laid down to gigs of this nature for the rest of the year and a few bands highlighted as ones to watch in that time as well.

For more on the bands, look out for the videos of our interviews on YouTube and check our Facebook or Twitter for everything else.

WORDS: Brendan Walsh

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.