Blitz Kids @ EVAC – REVIEW 06.10.14

blitz-kids

On the 6th October, highly rated pop-punk-alt-rockers Blitz Kids hit one of Liverpool’s hottest venues, EVAC. I have to admit, I probably enjoy pop-punk a bit too much. I like to think that love it or hate it, it’s always been pretty accessible. Blitz Kids, hailing from Nantwich, Cheshire, are one of those bands that straddle both the pop-punk genre and the heavier alternative-rock anthems, keeping their toes on both sides of the line.

Perhaps the poppier sounds of the night came in the form of openers, Delca Kara, a young and local quintet with a vibrantly shameless sound reminiscent to – though perhaps a little heavier than – the likes of The 1975 and Bastille. You couldn’t fault them on their cohesion or their energy, which is always good to see from the first support band of the night.

Now if it’s energy you seek, Hemel Hempstead outfit Scholars have bags of it. Their loud and effervescent set was enough to suitably warm up the crowd before the nights final support, Natives. By this point the crowd, small but energised by the intimate buzz of the venue, were suitably hyped for Blitz Kids’ Liverpool debut headline slot. Though unsure what to expect, I was overall impressed. Blitz Kids state on social media they are ‘4 best mates making music for the love of it,’ and that certainly came across.

Having spent the last couple of years on tour with the likes of Mayday Parade, Tonight Alive and All Time Low, Blitz Kids embarked on this headline tour to continue promoting their second studio album, ‘The Good Youth’, which was released earlier this year. In addition to older tracks, their set included many newer guitar-driven, riff-ravaged and pop-infused rock anthems. A personal highlight for me was ‘On My Own’ – think Fall Out Boy with a British accent.

And they looked completely comfortable in their craft. It’s actually refreshing to go to this kind of gig and have a frontman who doesn’t spend guitar-driven instrumental sections by stealing half the drummer’s job and crashing around on a cymbal. As a whole, it was everything an alt rock set should be – terribly blasé, musically together to a tee, and tons more fun than anything you could otherwise be doing.

WORDS: Cecily Sheppard

Cecily Sheppard