Andrew Metcalfe @ EVAC – REVIEW, 10.10.14

1601331_456693217790075_1251279658_n

On Friday 10th October I attended a brilliant Oxjam event at the East Village Arts Club (EVAC) featuring Andrew Metcalfe amongst some truly brilliant and energetic support acts including Run Tiger Run, Cheap Thrills and Japanese Scream. The main focus of these events is to raise as much money as possible for Oxfam, and what a brilliant way to combine support for the local music scene in your area and promote and raise money for a great cause.

Walking into the venue initially (my first ever time at EVAC) I was pleasantly surprised with the size and beauty of the room, divided into two halves with a respectable stage already surrounded by a young and eager audience. One of the many benefits of a night like Oxjam is the ability to bring together a number of different local bands with varying styles and fan bases into one room, one evening and one infectious atmosphere that was electric in its energy.

When Andrew Metcalfe, formerly the front man of Sound of Guns, came blazing onto the stage, bottle of wine in hand and a confident swagger in his step I instantly knew that the next 45 minutes were going to be a lot of fun. Playing tracks both old and new, Metcalfe succeeded in hooking the audience’s attention straight away. Metcalfe’s stage dominance was beyond question, balanced charmingly with his humility and sense of humour, demonstrated perfectly when, at the beginning of the set he self-deprecatingly jibed, “I can only apologise as the headline act, for well, not being a headline act.” Despite this apology, I do not think anyone there that night could deny his rightful claim at the top of the bill, along with his his band who provided a flawless performance behind him throughout the night. One of the highlights of the night for me personally was when Metcalfe invited Lia, his daughter, to join him onto the stage to play the acoustic guitar while he sang, a wonderful moment shared with the audience between a proud father and equally proud daughter.

Overall, this was a brilliant night which showcased not only a great cause but also fantastic support for the local music scene which is brimming with talent that deserves to be given a platform more often.

WORDS: Kim Stuart

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.