Nimmo @ LIVERPOOL MUSIC WEEK

Nimmo

With the nights focus heavily weighted towards Wild Beasts headline slot, it was an important time for Nimmo and the Gauntletts in the running order to make their mark as they play Liverpool’s O2 Academy for the first time. The London based, five piece disco pop band are fronted by Sarah Nimmo and Reva Gauntlett, who give into the disco and encourage the crowd into the funk. Being previously described as an ‘upbeat version of The XX’ this band are definitely destined for great things in the future.

They started  their set with  debut single ‘Jaded’; it’s a pop jam enthusiastically accepted by the crowd and almost immediately gets everyone moving. As the crowd gets bigger, Nimmo and the Gauntletts settle into their act and continue their set on a high. In return, and not deterred by their lack of knowledge with regard to the lyrics,  the crowd react like life-long dedicated fans who have been there since day one.

The five piece band use all 5  keyboards on stage to produce one rhythmic sound, marvellously displayed to best effect in penultimate song ‘Others’, remixed in the past by headliners Wild Beasts. The harmonies of Reva and Sarah delve into the chorus and send chills down the spines of the crowd making hairs stand up on the necks of everyone, even the late 20 something pint chanting males near the bar. Nimmo and the Gauntletts have made their mark tonight and stamped themselves in the disco pop world showing why comparisons to bands like The XX and Seasfire are wholly justified.

Concluding with the fitting title ‘So Long’ the band relish in their stylistic, disco ways as Sarah and Reva let their bodies do the talking, building a euphoric atmosphere leaving the crowd buzzing even when the band leave the stage. Nimmo and the Gauntletts bid farewell complimenting the crowd as an “absolute pleasure” and how they cannot wait to return to Liverpool on their own future tour. It’s fair to say that this band were an absolute pleasure to watch and it’s only a short amount of time until they’ll be headlining Liverpool’s O2 Academy with devoted fans who can only wait so long to see Nimmo and the Gauntletts once again.

WORDS: Helen Rabitt

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17