Speech Development Tour @ The Kazimier – REVIEW, 12.11.14

speech development

Speech Development Records presented the talented Warrenpeace and B Dolan, hosted by founder of the label, Scroobius Pip down at The Kaz this week. The label was created by the spoken word poet and Hip Hop artist back in 2011 and since has signed several artists including the likes of Sage Francis.

It all kicked off with a set from Warrenpeace, a frenetic duo from London who mix the sounds of hardcore punk and spoken word through electronics, guitar and aggressive story-telling. Sounds odd I know, but surprisingly it works. This raw and powerful duo engaged and hyped up the audience in preparation for the main act ‘B Dolan’. Especially during the performance of ‘FRNKLYSTVN’ which featured an appearance from host Scroobius Pip.

During intermission Scroobius Pip graced the stage for a bassy, DJ set to keep the crowd psyched before the main act. B Dolan entered along with his drummer, accompanied by the boys from Warrenpeace,  and immediately jumped head first into the flow of things with his first song. The on stage outfit had an unparalleled intensity in performance and stage presence, and throughout the entire performance they laid bare their energetic and humorous personalities. B Dolan also displayed, even without the music, his raw talents for spoken word performance – incidentally where his career began. His delivery and craft was more than enough to captivate the packed out crowd.

This, twinned with the aforementioned stagemanship made for an explosive night of entertainment. During one of his songs ‘You can’t dance’ he initiated a dance off by pulling someone up on stage and declaring a battle. By this point the atmosphere was as strong as the music, owed to the large proportion of boozy diehard fans. Even when trans-atlantic relations could have been frayed,  B Dolan describing the entirety of the Kazimier as “Bitter sarcastic British arseholes”, his truism was accepted with open – if not slightly drunken – arms. And what better way to finish off than with Scroobius Pip joining the stage one last time to perform ‘Soldier boy (Kill em)’ giving the crowd one last chance to party before heading home.

I entered the Kazimier feeling quite sceptical as I had no idea of what to expect, and surprisingly I had a brilliant time experiencing something completely new. I wouldn’t say I had left becoming an avid fan of the spoken word and hip hop culture but these artists are some I would definitely recommend others to go and see as you’ll probably never experience anything like it. Everyone who attended left the event with smiles and pumped spirits as the first ever Speech Development tour proved to be an unadulterated success.

Words: Alice Pearce.

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17