King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard @ EVAC, 14.11.14

Photo from band’s website

Nice Purse-esque vocals and guitars are infectious and ridiculously catchy, with all seven of the musicians united in creating something so incredibly expansive in their limited jumping about the stage”

Going into a gig without knowing anything about any of the acts playing is something to be treated with caution. Either you’re going to find something you like, or you’re not. Thankfully for me, not only did I find something I liked, but I found something I fell in love with, in the form of King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard.

Aeroplanes Fly High

Photo taken by author

Opening act Aeroplane Flies High instantly charged Art Club’s loft room into overdrive with their powerful, grungey noise-psych. It’s hard not to hear Smashing Pumpkins in the music, possibly where the band gets its name from. For a three-piece, these guys have a massive sound; an incredible drummer, two fuzz-driven guitars and wonderful intertwining vocals from both the male and female guitarists was a spectacle to behold. Latest single ‘Honey’ was a set highlight, each member offering something individually potent in the creation of sweet, sweet noise.

Swiftly following were Strange Collective. Building on the psych atmosphere created by Aeroplane Flies High, this four piece infused garage flavours to the mix, creating an interesting blend of sounds. Floating delay effects are a favourite of mine, and these guys hit it home. Their set came to a powerful, crashing close, guitars launched towards amplifiers emitting dirty feedback, contorted and twisted by various effects. Unfortunately, Strange Collective have no material up on the web at the moment, but it’s definitely something to keep your ears open to, as well as see live; their set was incredibly energetic, a nice new find.

King Gizzard

Photo taken by author

Following the introduction of several guitars on stage, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard took the evening into their own direction, in promotion of new album I’m In Your Mind Fuzz. Live, they’re not of the most traditional setup; an impressive seven members crowded the tiny stage, compiled of three guitarists (one swapping to bass for a few tracks, two on vocals), a bassist, two drummers and a member playing the harmonica/singing through a variety of effects pedals and also playing keys (yikes). Although it’s easy to get lost in the amount of action occurring onstage, the result is truly spectacular. An enormous wall of straight up surf-psych was produced, and was simply inspiring. ‘Am I In Heaven’ is evidence enough for this; Nice Purse-esque vocals and guitars are infectious and ridiculously catchy, with all seven of the musicians united in creating something so incredibly expansive in their limited jumping about the stage.

Whiney vocals and similarly whiney guitars riddled with slapback delays stand out amongst all the sonic mayhem occurring, with fifteen minute jam-track ‘Head On/Pill’ embodying everything that makes the evening’s set so enjoyable. I can’t emphasise enough how entertaining this incredible band are to watch live, and would give an arm and a leg to see them again. Well done, King G.

Words: Luke Halls

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17