The Wands @ The Magnet, 13.11.14

The Wands
Blak Hand Records
returned to The Magnet for their second, “Night of Psychedelia” after the success of chapter 1. The night was headlined by the Danish duo, The Wands, who were last in Liverpool in 2013, at the two-day Psych Fest.

The night was kicked off by a trio from Liverpool, Ohmns. Despite being relatively unknown, with this being their second gig, they did not fail to draw me in with their repetitive riffs and rhythms. They definitely worked hard up there, with the drummer singing lead vocal for the most part – an impressive feat in itself. Next up were Comanche Moon, a local band, who had been a part of the first night at The Magnet earlier this year. Following them, Manchester’s Purple Heart Parade, who recently featured in this year’s Liverpool Psych Fest. As the crowd was a little sparse and a tad shy, the lead singer decided to bring himself down off the stage to reduce the gap between himself and the audience. It was a nice touch to make the crowd feel more included; even if he did almost knock me out when he smashed one of his tambourines against the ground.

“Psych duo The Wands are the aural sound of an acid trip at the blissed-out point when your arms appear to be made of rainbows”– NME

Finally, The Wands took to the stage, beginning with  ‘And Full of Colours’ and ‘Sound of the Machine’ off their new album The Dawn. Although I was not around in the 60s, it is as if their sound and lyrics had this immediate way of making you feel nostalgic, as if you had been transported to an underground acid rock party. Their mixture of repetitive hazy sounds and classic rock melodies was wholly mesmerising.  The duo brought along three others to make up their band, and this talented bunch seemed to be playing musical chairs on stage. Both Christian and Mads, life-long friends, showed off their skills on both the guitar and the electronic organ – they even brought out a harmonica! My personal highlight of their set was She’s Electric, I couldn’t help but come away singing the hook. They ended the night asking the audience whether it was ‘a party on a thursday night in Liverpool?’ Little do they know that it is a party in Liverpool whatever night it is.

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17