Polka Does Halloween @ The Garage, 31.10.14

halloween polka

Back in October, I went to Polka does Halloween. With promising new DJs Jay Shepheard and Damiano von Erckert fitting the bill, the night was set to be impressive. The event was held at the venue ‘The Garage’ on Greenland Street, which made a nice change to the usual site on Kitchen Street. With perfectly fitting orange and green strobes lighting the room, and house enthusiasts dressed as zombies and skeletons, it surpassed my Halloween expectations.

London based Jay Shepheard wowed the crowd with mesmerising techno beats and deep house. With only emerging into the music scene last year with his EP “Black Label 19“, I think it is fair to say that Jay has come a long way in such a short space of time. German DJ Damiano von Erkckert’s set involved a lot of disco and funk. I’d say he bravely and successfully moved away from the conventional and perhaps stereotypical house music.

Although the event wasn’t a complete sell out, there was a decent amount of people. The crowd dressed in the Halloween spirit were immersed in the sound of the two DJs sublime mixes. It was actually quite nice that there wasn’t an uncomfortable amount of people at the event. This allowed for a great deal of space to move around and dance without awkwardly elbowing the person stood next to you. It was also surprisingly beneficial in maintaining a decently cooled room, instead of the usual sweat pit we’re all familiar with.

The night showcased two great emerging house DJs and I hope they return to Liverpool soon. Polka has once again succeeded in hosting a fun and chilled event. Although Polka stated that it was a ‘one off event in this venue’ it definitely didn’t fail to impress.

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17