Circa Waves @ The Kazimier, 20.11.14

Photo taken from artist’s Facebook

”As they ended a hectic 2 week, 11 date tour, Circa Waves certainly showed no signs of tiredness and lived up to the hype that had been building up before the gig,giving a near faultless performance”

Following question marks over the future of The Kazimier, arguably Liverpool’s favourite venue, it was recently announced that talks are taking place to hopefully save the site. It, therefore, seemed only fitting that, just a few days after the announcement, one of the city’s most popular bands, Circa Waves, would end their tour there, and they definitely gave a set the popular venue deserved.

With an already busy, bumbling atmosphere, a relatively unknown band from New York, Public Access TV, kicked off the night off with the New York indie vibe that you relate with the likes of The Ramones, as well as riffs that couldn’t help but remind you of early Arctic Monkeys. The Americans certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves and that reflected in their high energy performance. Their short, but enthusiastic, set got better as it went on and they left the crowd in a buoyant mood for the headline act.

With the atmosphere already buzzing before the support act had even started, you can imagine what it was like when four local lads took to the stage in the final leg of their tour. As they ended a hectic 2 week, 11 date tour, Circa Waves certainly showed no signs of tiredness and lived up to the hype that had been building up before the gig giving a near faultless performance. Kicking their set off with their most recent single ‘So Long’, they set the pace and standard from the start. This was immediately reflected in the crowd, who bounced off the bands high-octane start, and as the first song finished you couldn’t help but know this would be a gig to remember. The group continued to give off a fantastic set surpassing some technical problems with ease, something you couldn’t notice until lead singer, Kieran Shudall, began apologising. Despite these problems they didn’t hold back with their set, and after offering a congratulations to the venue for staying open, something which the crowd duly appreciated, headed straight into ‘100 Strangers’, a song which highlights the Libertines and Strokes influences that are so prominent in their sound.

The band somehow gave an increasingly energetic show and the peak was reached during their last song. After thanking the crowd they set off straight into their debut single ‘Get Away’, and soon after a group of excited young fans joined the band on stage with the small group soon leading to the whole stage being occupied. This, however, did not phase the band who seemed to be enjoying the attention and continued to play despite the distractions. With the song coming to an end, and it becoming increasingly difficult for Shudall to sing, he took to jumping into the hands of those actually left in the crowd. The gig abruptly came to an end as the four scousers were then safely escorted away with the band and the crowd on cloud nine following an exhilarating performance. As always, Circa Waves proved they are a band not to be missed.

Words: Will Lewis

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17