Mister Lies – Shadow // Album Review

Shadow, Album Artwork

Shadow, Album Artwork

“Whether it’s the subtle anticipation heard during Nymph or the majestic, near out of body experimentation sounded out in Stuck/Ouija Fade, there isn’t a dull moment to be heard.”

Nick Zanca, otherwise known as Mister Lies released his second album, Shadow a few weeks ago. It is a phenomenally lush trip centred on ‘themes of loss, addiction or alienation’ but most of all, ‘change’. I first peeped this record on a rainy, foggy train journey to Leicester. The vibes really suited the grey and green landscape flashing by. I knew I was in for something special.

Mister Lies is probably most well-known for a song called Cleam off of his Hidden Neighbours EP released in early 2012. The four tracks on Hidden Neighbours are soothing and emotional, the perfect aural companion for both post-rave chilling or cosy evenings wrapped up in bed. There is something deeply profound about much of his music and often, like with a lot of electronic music, its intended meaning (if any) is left up to the listener.

Shadow certainly continues these traits with precision, providing awesome crescendos, drops and blissful construction brimming with character. Interestingly, lyrics are a prominent feature of the album. At first I found them to be distracting or unnecessary but I soon realised that they add another level of familiarity and soul to the 8 track record. Lyrics allow Zanca to guide meaning to a more personal level, a new element within his music. I was reminded of Mount Kimbie’s Cold Spring Fault Less Youth which also included a multitude of vocal tracks and collaborations. I am inclined to say that Mister Lies pulls it off far better.

I don’t think there is one weak track on this album, each tune shines in its own way. Whether it’s the subtle anticipation heard during Nymph or the majestic, near out of body experimentation sounded out in Stuck/Ouija Fade, there isn’t a dull moment to be heard.

Shadow is currently available on a pay what you like basis at Mister Lies’ bandcamp pageThe rest of his discography can be streamed there too. You can also listen to whole record on the Youtube link below.

Words: Alex Curran

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17