The Crookes @ EVAC, 25.11.14

Photo taken from artist’s Facebook

‘As the set progressed never did the band lose the dynamics they began with and not once did the crowd stand still, every song giving them the opportunity to dance. And that’s exactly what they did”

‘The Loft’ at EVAC once again played host to a night of brilliant music from some equally brilliant bands. The night was jam packed with a fusion of indie rock bands and headliners The Crookes put on a show that will be remembered for years to come.

Despite it being yet another rainy night in Liverpool, the first two opening acts, Indigo Violet and Elephant and Castle made thoughts of the rain outside go away with an array of contagious songs which kept the crowd warm for each of the supports. Lastly before The Crookes took to the stage we got to witness the talent that was Laurel Canyons. Also from Sheffield, this four-piece alternative band brought atmospheric melodies combined with soulful lyrics to deliver an overall thrilling performance. The single ‘Owe Nothing’ from their first EP Now We’re Rebuilding in particular sent shiver down my spine as it was a song of pure musical beauty.

Then it was time for The Crookes and it is safe to say they brought nothing but energy to the stage from the outset. This indie rock band have a fan base stretching across many countries and it’s no wonder, as their infectious rhythms and edgy lyrics make them stand out from many indie rock bands on the music scene at the moment.

Songs such as ‘Yes, Yes, We’re Magicians’ and ‘American Girls’ were real crowd pleasers and also gave George Waite, the lead singer, the chance to show off his wonderfully distinct vocals. As the set progressed never did the band lose the dynamics they began with and not once did the crowd stand still, every song giving them the opportunity to dance. And that’s exactly what they did. Something that stood out for me when watching the band was the obvious chemistry between them. There’s nothing greater than seeing a band having fun whilst performing as it leaks out into the audience, making the whole show more intimate. Ending the set with one of their best known songs ‘Afterglow’, The Crookes once again showcased their memorable lyrics and musical talent and the atmosphere after the gig remained high as the band made their way out to greet fans.

In a quick conversation after the gig with band members George and Dan Hopwell (guitar) I asked them if they had any advice for artists trying to make it in the music world. Both said that perseverance and determination are two important qualities needed and it’s clear to see that their own band has both and are getting bigger and better after every performance. Earlier this year their third studio album Soapbox received glowing reviews and there’s no doubt that The Crookes are a band to look out for in the future.

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17