What’s On?! December 2014

High Hazels @ The Baltic Social 04.12.14

High Hazels, a quartet from the Steel City, are aptly bringing their northern storytelling to the heart of the Baltic Triangle, at the Baltic Social this Thursday. Showcasing their debut album, High Hazels have been featured on Fred Perry Subculture’s lists of ‘One’s to Watch for 2015’ and after a run of headline shows throughout the UK, are set to make a grand entrance to Liverpool. With clear influences from the likes of Fleet Foxes and The Coral, the Yorkshire lads infuse psychedelic guitar melodies alongside lustrous vocals crafted with a sharp wit. ‘Misbehave’ is the latest track to be released from the self-titled new album, offering dreamy 60’s RnB you can’t help but groove along to. Check them out this Thursday at an intimate venue before the buzz sweeps them to the arena shows.

Tickets here

Words: Katie Tysoe

Janet Devlin @ EVAC, 4.12.14

Irish artist Janet Devlin will be performing at EVAC on December 4th, joined by Luke Cusato and Robbie Cavanagh. The red-haired songstress finished 5th on the 2011 series of X Factor and since has been writing music with the likes of folk artist Newton Faulkner. Her debut album Running With Scissors was released in June this year, and Janet is now embarking on her second UK and Ireland tour to promote it. If you remember her from the X Factor and/or feel like some chilled folksy music to see you through the bleak midwinter, I’d recommend getting down to EVAC this Thursday!

Tickets here

Words: Alex Gregson

Glastines @ Lomax, 5.12.14

Glastines, largely made up of former members from locally acclaimed Emergency Door Release, are stopping at bastion of new music, Lomax, for their Liverpool leg of their first UK tour. The four-piece outfit is sure to capture the fervent intensity demanded by their venue’s regulars, and with debut release ‘I Don’t Mind’ giving potential new fans just a small glimpse of the Newcastle outfit’s knack for vintage indie-rock hooks, this is surely your safest bet this Friday to discover all manner of new music

Tickets on door

Words: George Aird

Pagoda @ 24 Kitchen Street, 6.12.14

Pagoda returns to 24 Kitchen Street for its second party of this year. GLOWING PALMS headlines the night, emerging from the depths of deepest darkest Manchester to light up the Baltic Triangle for one long night. Turn up early and stay till daybreak, be entertained by Pagoda resident Barney Rosenthal as well as the return of a much anticipated back to back set from Andy Ash and Chris Barker. Tipped by many as one of the best venues in Liverpool, if you haven’t been to 24 yet, this may well be your best chance till next year – it’s free before 11pm. Besides the spectacular space, the night offers an array of sonic goodness to sooth your soul and excite the senses. See you there.

Tickets on the door (free before 11pm)

Words: Jon Ferguson

Nina Nesbitt @ The Kazimier 7.12.14

From the early 2011 YouTube days of covering Example and Damien Rice to her catchy, chart smashing single ‘Selfie’ of 2014, Nina Nesbitt is a quirky Scottish singer/song writer who is making her way to Liverpool’s Kazimier on 7th December for a fun acoustic Christmas gig. Nina’s planning to make this a night of festivity and embracing the devotion of her ‘Nesbians’ (as fans like to call themselves) performing stripped back versions of songs from her chart topping 2014 album Peroxide which are bound to go down a treat with fans. So if you’re wanting to get into the early Christmas spirit then this Edinburgh lass is the one to make you feel merry and bright!

Tickets here

Words: Helen Rabbit

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble @ The Kazimier, 9.12.14

Playing their way from the subways in Chicago to countries all around the world this eight-piece band of brothers are heading to Liverpool for a night of infectious jazz music. Having been immersed in the world of music all their lives, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are sure to bring some of the best of their unique sound to The Kazimier, with their music style ranging from hip-hop to jazz to funk. If you’re in the mood for a night of dancing and brilliant music then look no further than this truly hypnotic band.

Tickets here

Words: Laura Copestake

Swindle @ The Shipping Forecast, 12.12.14

With dance music having a mild identity crisis at the minute, genres new and old are popping up in moments of invention and nostalgia respectively. In the wake of this, genres such as grime and dubstep have been received with loving open arms (or should I say gun-fingers) in a way that we haven’t seen in years now. This current diaspora has meant that artists such as supremely talented Swindle can produce his unique blend of jazz, grime, dubstep and whatever else, and take it anywhere in the country and pull in a loving crowd. Mala’s Deep Medi man will be frequenting The Shipping Forecast on the 12th of December as part of another of Dot‘s increasingly popular local nights, which saw The Artful Dodger completely pack out the same venue last month.
With smashing support from the regular Dot soldiers, tickets are selling out quickly but there are still plenty available for the measly sum of a fiver!

Tickets here

Words: Leo Watkins

Bill Ryder-Jones and Saint Saviour @ The Kazimier, 13.12.14

On 13th December, Liverpool welcomes back their very own Bill Ryder-Jones and Saint Saviour for a night at The Kazimier that should not be one to miss. After recently working together on Saint Saviour’s second album, In The Seams (which Ryder-Jones produced), they now embark on a joint headline tour together. The former Groove Armada singer moves herself away from her electronic past as she is accompanied by the Manchester Camerata Orchestra in her recent album, who worked on her new record to high acclaim. Ex-Coral member Ryder-Jones, following on from his successful 2013 release, A Bad Wind Blows In My Heart, is also in the process of writing new music for his highly anticipated forthcoming release. With the co-headline tour offering a rare opportunity to catch both of these artists performing together, The Kazimier is set to host one an unmissable show to lead you in to Christmas.

Tickets here

Words: Will Lewis

Space @ EVAC 13/12/14

Space are a band that need no introduction, though for the purposes of those who may have been living under a rock in the 1990’s, they are the Liverpool born-and-bred group that brought the prodigious tune ‘Female of the Species’. Celebrating their 20th anniversary and new album Attack of the 50ft Kebab, Space will be playing a particularly festive homecoming gig, no doubt full of surprises. Return to the Britpop nostalgia of the 90’s as they bring back their dark-humoured indie rock. With tracks like ‘Ballad of Tom Jones’ and ’20 Million Miles From Earth’, don the bucket hat and parka and head down to the East Village Arts Club for what will be a truly memorable gig.

Tickets here

Words: Katie Tysoe

Enter Shikari @ Camp And Furnace, 17.12.14

With the forthcoming album The Mindsweep set to be released in January and new single ‘The Last Garrison’ whipping up a frenzy with both critics and fans alike, St. Alban’s favourite four-piece Enter Shikari head to Liverpool’s Camp And Furnace for a special Christmas show sure to be replete with furious musicianship and electric stage antics in equal measure. Boasting a live reputation to match any contemporary act, leading NME to once call the band’s show ‘a relentlessly fun bombardment of the senses’, Enter Shikari have progressed over the years from the sing-along raucous of ‘Sorry, You’re Not A Winner’ to the more dub-heavy landscape of ‘Gandhi Mate, Gandhi,’ resulting in a catalogue which allows them to draw from an impressive pool of genres. With support from Baby Godzilla and Allusondrugs, Camp And Furnace is set to offer an insight into the heavier side of British talent in what promises to be one of the most intense evenings of the year.

Tickets here

Words: Ben Lynch

Cherry Ghost @ The Kazimier, 22.12.14

It’s not an advisable habit to band around terms such as ‘poet’ when discussing musicians, but in the context of Simon Aldred, the man behind Cherry Ghost, it’s a phrase which is hard to avoid. The Bolton-born artist has garnered a reputation for his vivid lyricism and character portrayals, perhaps best known on the single ‘People Help The People’, a track later covered by Birdy. However, never a man to stay still, Aldred has also developed a previously untapped penchant for sparser electronic compositions as Out Cold and penning tracks with contemporary artists such as Sam Smith and Rae Morris. Cherry Ghost’s most recent record Herd Runners sees Aldred ditch his melancholy for positivity, as soaring strings and gentile keys accompany his typical lyrical prowess in stunning fashion. With strong hints pertaining to the idea that this will be the last Cherry Ghost album, his Christmas show at The Kazimier is set to be something very special, and the perfect way to ease yourself into the final run up to Christmas.

Tickets here

Words: Ben Lynch

Editor’s Choice: Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

FLAWES interview – 17/10/17