DJ Nu-Mark & Slimkid 3 @ Kitchen Street, 06.02.14
Image Credit: Wordplay Magazine

Image Credit: Wordplay Magazine

Kitchen Street underwent a trans-atlantic transformation on Friday night in an evening all the more Los Angeles than it was Liverpool. The volume of red party cups thrust skywards was only surpassed by the sheer volume of Hip Hop beats blasted through the venues walls. DJ Numark was hot off the blocks as the crowd were pumped to hear what the Jurassic 5 member had to offer; his archive of material ranging from Hip Hop classics to his original collaborative album with Slimkid3. Each remix added a soulful soundtrack to the night and it was well appreciated from the crowd as they bounced off one another and quickly surged closer to the stage where Slimkid3 was providing coolly observant raps.

As the party continued at the front of the venue the DJ’ing duo made sure to entertain all the senses, projecting abstract images and coordinated artistic videos onto the back wall. Towards the end of the set, the relationship between act and audience was at its tightest so Slimkid3 threw himself into the crowd and was welcomed with open arms – and a crowd surf, of course. Gliding back onto the stage, Slimkid3 and DJ Numark made sure the night was going to go off with a bang and so they powered into ‘I Know I Didn’t’ and the explosion of the single being remixed live erupted in tandem with the crowd, all of whom were driven to leap around even more.

Sliding the Hip Hop classics of Jurassic 5 in between the originality of Numark and Slimkid3 enthralled the crowd right until the end of the set. The beats got bigger and the bass got louder and Slimkid3’s slick rapping and vocal only caused the crowd to get more frenzied, all the time echoing every vocal back at the duo. As Slimkid3 ended his part of the set, he indulged in the love of his fans by signing copies of the duo’s self-titled album and taking every opportunity to have photos. DJ Numark continued to deliver the old school beats as the remixes and party continued into the early hours of Saturday morning. Kitchen Street was alive with rhythmic uproar and it was a pleasure to be in the company of LA’s current finest Hip Hop Harmony for the evening.

Words: Helen Rabbitt

Helen Rabbitt