Orla Gartland @ EVAC, 18.02.15
Image Credit: Artist's Facebook

Image Credit: Artist’s Facebook

On Wednesday night The Loft at the Arts Club was set alight with an array of energetic, vibrant music from three talented artists. The Ambition set the night off running with pop infused songs. This Liverpool based band impressed and entertained the arriving audience ready for the next support.

Martin Luke Brown’s set was one of acoustic beauty. Moving between the piano and guitar, Martin played a variety of songs which showed off his hypnotic vocals perfectly. After speaking with Martin before the gig I could see how his charming, warming character shone through songs such as Nostalgia and a smile never left his face. Offering out free EP’s after his set there’s no doubt that he’s an artist to watch out for in the near future.

It’s well known that Orla Gartland is a quirky, amusing musician and a born entertainer. Before she even stepped onto the stage she opted to play ‘Wannabe’ by the Spice Girls as her entrance song. After that it was a whirlwind of jokes, great songs and entertainment from this talented red-head and her band.

Even though Orla is yet to release an album she has quite a large repertoire of songs to choose from and perfectly decided to play both old and new songs. One of her newer songs, Flatline, showed off Orla’s catchy song writing skills and left the audience clapping and moving along with her and her band.

Half way through the set the audience were transported back to the 1980s with a cover of Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill fused with Cyndi Lauper’s Time After Time. With just her voice and a guitar Orla managed to make this her own with a modern twist on two timeless classics.

Songs such as Empty Man showed a softer, sadder side to Orla’s song writing but even though the audience were reduced to silence as she sang she kept the mood upbeat by interacting with the audience and at one point even made everyone bunch together and put a hand over their faces so she could take rather an unusual photo to send to her mother.

Teasing the audience towards the end of the set by walking off stage, contemplating whether to come back on for one last song, she gave in to the crowd’s cheers and finished the set before coming out to meet and chat with her fans. At this moment it was clear how important Orla considered her fans to be, taking time to talk and take photos with every single one.

Once again I was treated to a great night of music at one of my favourite music venues. Each and every act gave something new and unique to the show but overall flowed perfectly one after another. I will no doubt be seeing all of these acts again very soon.

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.