Eclectic Sounds
Eclectic Sounds

Rhodes @ EVAC, 03.03.15
Image Credit: Artist's Facebook

Image Credit: Artist’s Facebook

It’s no surprise that when I went to EVAC last Tuesday night the security guard asked ‘weren’t you here only last week?’ I’d probably been there more times than I had anywhere else in Liverpool and who can blame me? They offer some of the best live music shows around (as well as some great decor), and Rhodes was no exception.

Eaves opened the night with a beautiful collection of thought provoking songs which made his whole set peaceful but powerful. Songs such as ‘As Old as the Grave’ showed off his strong, unique folk voice excellently and helped maintain a casual atmosphere whilst the crowd gathered, ready for Rhodes himself.

With his debut album on the way Rhodes was supported on stage by a 4 piece band, something that was new for this acoustic singer. However even with the accompaniment behind him, he still had the opportunity to sing a few songs alone. With only a guitar, he treated the audience to songs such as ‘Breathe’ and ‘Run’, taking everyone back to his earlier acoustic days on the music scene.

This being the first show of the tour the whole band was bursting with energy and song after song they delivered a brilliant musical performance. ‘Raise Your Love’ stood out as one which highlighted how talented Rhodes is, not only as a singer/songwriter but as an entertainer. With hundreds of shows behind him and support from some of the biggest names in the industry, Rhodes makes sure that each of his shows offer something different and unique to the crowd and I can’t fault how musically on point himself and his band were.

Whilst his music may not be the jumpiest, most upbeat out there it is clear how much thought and emotion goes into each song, showing music in its most perfect, pure sense. This being the first tour Rhodes has done with a band it brought another element to every song with accompaniment coming from instruments such as the cello and bass.

I think it’s safe to say everyone enjoyed the gig, as everyone was singing along and smiling to every song played, whether it was old or new. It’s obvious that Rhodes has much more to bring to the world of music and this night at EVAC proved that. Every minute his music is getting bigger and stronger and with a summer full of festivals and an album to release, 2015 is looking like a great year for Rhodes.

Laura Copestake