Hunter And The Bear @ EVAC, 20.03.15
Image Credit: Artist's Facebook

Image Credit: Artist’s Facebook

Embracing an alcohol free night was not my idea of a perfect Friday, however enjoying some British folk certainly did ease the pain. A four piece from all different parts of the UK have combined to make the soothing sounds of Hunter and the Bear, who had never played a gig in Liverpool before, so tonight was the night to show them exactly what our city has to offer.

Buzzing onto stage sporting beards and some luscious locks from the two guitarists; Jimmy and Chris, the set bounced into full spring as guitars galore brought out the clear influence from Mumford and Sons. With the first half of their set dedicated to their first EP ‘Dusty Road’ the crowd showed full support with enthusiastic chants and some surprisingly well executed accompanying country style moves. The band certainly appreciated this support as Will, the leading man chuckled numerous amounts of times halfway through songs at the sights of middle aged men attempting what seemed some kind of line dancing.

After seeing this kind of response from the crowd the band decided to join us on the floor. As they popped down from the stage they prepared to perform an acoustic piece about their nearest and dearest friend who was once ill. Whilst standing in a circle and creating perfect harmonies it showed exactly how much passion these lads have for the music, and how someday soon they will have the same recognition and respect which acts like Mumford already have.

Moving into the final part of their set, the band decided to up the tempo again to get the crowd grooving once more. They ended on their most recent single ‘Pick Me Up’ from their 2014 EP ‘Before I Come Home’, the crowd soaked it up and showed exactly why the band should return to Liverpool for future gigs. Hunter and Bear showed their gratitude to the crowd by greeting fans after the show, signing merchandise and promising free hugs from guitarist, Chris. This band won’t be hunting for a place in the industry anymore, they have definitely made their mark and will be regular guests at independent festivals this summer so be on watch.

Helen Rabbitt